4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Random topic: Do you think the "New Edges" will ever be classics like the 60s stangs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
The engine is nice, no doubt about that. Now, I just wish they'd work on the actual car itself. Driving that car just sucks. It's not good when a 35K car feels WORSE inside than my 03 GT's interior. My 03 GT actually feels more comfy, truth be told, doesn't feel as cheap inside, and I don't have blind spots and don't feel like I'm cramped. It's like Chevy didn't learn their lesson with the previous gen Fbodies. Nice engine, but the everyday drivability of the car just fails.

Now, the Challenger, while it's heavy as frack, is VERY comfy inside, and also, has a pretty decent interior and gauges in places where they should be.
Sitting inside that camaro is almost like being in a tank like you're looking out of slots to see around you. The Challenger is nice but it is HUGE I parked mine beside one and took a pick I swear it looked like Pinky and the Brain that car is huge They are trying to make up for that size diff in the upcoming year by dropping a 6.4ltr 392 hemi in the srt8 and ppl are already comparing it to the camaro and stang when it should be compared with the gt500 and upcoming z28. Its like the Challenger RT has been taken out of the equation for some reason. It is nice though it just needs to lose like 400+lbs.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

The engine is nice, no doubt about that. Now, I just wish they'd work on the actual car itself. Driving that car just sucks. It's not good when a 35K car feels WORSE inside than my 03 GT's interior. My 03 GT actually feels more comfy, truth be told, doesn't feel as cheap inside, and I don't have blind spots and don't feel like I'm cramped. It's like Chevy didn't learn their lesson with the previous gen Fbodies. Nice engine, but the everyday drivability of the car just fails.

Now, the Challenger, while it's heavy as frack, is VERY comfy inside, and also, has a pretty decent interior and gauges in places where they should be.
I had Alot more visibility in the gto we had vs sitting in that camaro. It was a beast it just didnt have the muscle car lines to it. looked more like a cobalt or g6 on roids! pulled like a train though.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
Sitting inside that camaro is almost like being in a tank like you're looking out of slots to see around you. The Challenger is nice but it is HUGE I parked mine beside one and took a pick I swear it looked like Pinky and the Brain that car is huge They are trying to make up for that size diff in the upcoming year by dropping a 6.4ltr 392 hemi in the srt8 and ppl are already comparing it to the camaro and stang when it should be compared with the gt500 and upcoming z28. Its like the Challenger RT has been taken out of the equation for some reason. It is nice though it just needs to lose like 400+lbs.
YEa the Challenger is a beautiful car. It just needs a diet. But the drawback is, that it'd probably lose it's "spacious" comfort about it that the Mustang and Camaro don't really have.

The new Mustang, compared to the New Edges, don't have THAT much more space inside than ours do. You have a bit more leg room and head room for the passengers in the front, but the back seats are still cramped.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

YEa the Challenger is a beautiful car. It just needs a diet. But the drawback is, that it'd probably lose it's "spacious" comfort about it that the Mustang and Camaro don't really have.

The new Mustang, compared to the New Edges, don't have THAT much more space inside than ours do. You have a bit more leg room and head room for the passengers in the front, but the back seats are still cramped.
yeah checking the specs on a 99-04 mustang compared to the 2010-11 stang the leg room front and back is about the same they are just a little bit bigger but the overall size/ exterior is larger than ours. Actually the new edges has a small amount more in shoulder and hip room in the rear vs the new ones. all the specs are towards the bottom of this link.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimC...,USC00DOC191B0
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

I hate to bump old threads but I for one think these will be collectible as long as they are maintained in good to excellent condition. It's funny that someone mentioned that the fox bodys and irocs are worthless yet most of the ones on ebay that are at least in good condition don't sell for less than 10k, which is actually more than a new edge mustang. I bought an Iroc myself that was in good condition so there is a demand and always will be. I don't plan on selling my stang but I get complimented on it every time I drive it from people of all ages and I don't think that will stop 20 years from now. All it takes is someone who always wanted one but can't find one in good condition to see yours and go "how much do you want for it?" because that's what I asked the guy for my IROC.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Having considerable time to ponder my original stance, I still support it.

These cars will be classics no doubt. Collectables? No. Maybe the Cobras, Machs and Bullitts, but just because a car isn't collectable doesn't mean it isn't a classic.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by schmallz
Having considerable time to ponder my original stance, I still support it.

These cars will be classics no doubt. Collectables? No. Maybe the Cobras, Machs and Bullitts, but just because a car isn't collectable doesn't mean it isn't a classic.
I agree. I said collectible but after reading your logic, I think I like your wording better.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Collectibles, maybe not. Classics? Absolutely. You guys are mising out on a MAJOR point here. What makes the 60's cars classics are the people that buy them. The largest percent of our population is still the baby boomers. This is the generation that grew up with these cars and buy them not because they're "collectible," but because of nostalgia, and to be able to drive around in a piece of their youth. Who's to say 30 years down the road I'll bethinking back and will want a 2000 GT convertible, or say a 2001 V6 coupe. I love both these cars now very much and I'm sure I'll still love them and the memories made in them 30 years from now. It's not production numbers that drive a car to be desireable, it's the people that drive them
Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

They will certainly be collectable. Name for me one model of Mustang, that don't have a serious following. Betcha cant. Even the 74-78's have a niche following.

A Mustang will be the easiest car that you ever sell.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Food for thought. I just received an offer of 330,000.00 for my 1973 Ford Pinto as it is mint with 4800 miles. I am passing on this offer as I feel it is not strong enough. In another 10 years I see 1/2 million being offered, then I will sell it.