4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looks like these guys are attempting a 5.0 swap in an 01 Bullit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

I never said it wasn't a cool swap. Just not what I would have done.

And I'm not sure what the big hype over the DOHC 5.0 is. Yeah, it's finally a Mustang engine over 400hp, but I'm just not seeing it being a motor designed by God that runs off of Jesus's jizz. It seems like everyone is going nuts over how great it is, but I'm not seeing why. Not putting it down, just not putting it on the pedastal that most are.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

when stock the heads flow 330cfm intake and the variable timing(whatever the acronym or whatever is) really makes this engine unique. Also, it is light weight, very powerful, stock the engine is forged(not great but better than most. if compression was lower it would be a great boosted engine), the aftermarket is going nuts over it, people are making over 1000rwhp with this engine already and its only been out for a year. You can really see the progress people are making with these cars already. People running 10's with 10psi, longtubes, o/r x, and a stall with this motor.

This motor is really the modular we all have been waiting for. Its very efficient, very powerful, and has worlds of potential. With this car's power curve, with a standard 5 or 6 speed with the 1:1 occuring in 4th gear, this car would be nuts! When the head porting and camshaft options become available, I can see high hp n/a builds popping up.

Bow tie huggers have the LSx series...now we have the coyote!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by fidelcastrol
Power steering isn't really a big deal unless trying to park in a tight spot in NYC but the powerbrakes will be a tough work around.
yea... but PS is soo nice, you never realize it until you drive a old care without power steering. Although if i didn't have power steering i could prob save $30 per month and drop my gym membership... i'd get all the workout in driving. LULZ
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
when stock the heads flow 330cfm intake and the variable timing(whatever the acronym or whatever is) really makes this engine unique. Also, it is light weight, very powerful, stock the engine is forged(not great but better than most. if compression was lower it would be a great boosted engine), the aftermarket is going nuts over it, people are making over 1000rwhp with this engine already and its only been out for a year. You can really see the progress people are making with these cars already. People running 10's with 10psi, longtubes, o/r x, and a stall with this motor.

This motor is really the modular we all have been waiting for. Its very efficient, very powerful, and has worlds of potential. With this car's power curve, with a standard 5 or 6 speed with the 1:1 occuring in 4th gear, this car would be nuts! When the head porting and camshaft options become available, I can see high hp n/a builds popping up.

Bow tie huggers have the LSx series...now we have the coyote!
Ti-Vct. Twin independent variable cam timing lol. But i agree with everything in this statement. they are also running 10's n/a.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 AM
MykesGt
1st Gear Member

I think it is great to have all that power NA without having to go back to a pushrod engine. This engine is more fuel efficient also which saves on trips to the pump. It would be cool to pull up to a fbody ls1 lightly moded car and smoke it and say oh it's just stock and all motor.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i mean this is just our LSx killer motor. Finally something to brag about.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

This is Crash and I approve of this swap lol.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:18 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
yea... but PS is soo nice, you never realize it until you drive a old care without power steering. Although if i didn't have power steering i could prob save $30 per month and drop my gym membership... i'd get all the workout in driving. LULZ
i dont have power steering or power brakes. it feels to me like i stop quicker and shorter without the power than when i do it manually.

no power steering but the 3 inch tires dont take much to turn
Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

This is a local shop doing this build .. pretty cool. But for the price it could be my car...
Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Yea i mean this is just our LSx killer motor. Finally something to brag about.
Yeah, over a decade later Ford finally caught up.

Quick Reply: Looks like these guys are attempting a 5.0 swap in an 01 Bullit