4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Upgrading rear brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
i didn't on my car but it would probably help out on hard braking from my front end dipping with my cobra front brakes.
If the front end is dipping a lot under hard braking, adding larger brakes to the rear probably won't help your car stop any better. When the front dips, the rears tires loose some of their grip. Anyone who rides motorcycles can tell you the effect is VERY significant. Stronger rear brakes would only serve to lock up your rear tires more easily. Stiffer front springs would help to reduce the front end dive, then stronger rear brakes would provide more benefit.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Go with a TA and the front/rear bias can be shifted to near 60/40 for stopping power you cannot imagine in your ride

I have done such an upgrade and quite sugnificant improvement over OEM

Hit my brakes hard and you will.... time in back travel

Jazzer
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Go with a TA and the front/rear bias can be shifted to near 60/40 for stopping power you cannot imagine in your ride

I have done such an upgrade and quite sugnificant improvement over OEM

Hit my brakes hard and you will.... time in back travel

Jazzer
I've been debating a proportioning valve, just have no idea how to fine tune it=/ did you have the guys at griggs do it or did you trial and error yourself?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I agree with TruBlue...I picked up a Mach 1 and has SS braided lines in the front and only Hawk HPS pads....first time I had to stop "quickly" from only 20mph or so those things grab REAL well. To the point I scared myself...Kinda went "holy **** those work well" to my girl when I did it because I wasnt expecting it.

Just keep the stock GT parts, get better pads, solid rotors, SS lines and better fluid.

When time came to do the brakes on my GT I read around and the effort to switch all the parts AND needing a 17" wheel or bigger wasnt for me. So I was gonna go with SS lines all around, Hawk HPS pads, better fluid and OEM solid rotors. Those alone will give you a good "seat of the pants" upgrade.

Last edited by smitty2919; 12-28-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Aereon
I've been debating a proportioning valve, just have no idea how to fine tune it=/ did you have the guys at griggs do it or did you trial and error yourself?
John set it up and haven't messed with it. Fine tuning is not going to be difficult, just a little risky when you disable the ABS for testing and are moving fast with too much rear-bias and no room to spin out... lol. This is really the reason I have not done any adjusting to this point, but will one day in a LARGE open parking lot, just to play with it. Getting too close might be an issue if you set-it with a full tank of gas and stomp the brakes one day and are on "E". I am sure he left it skewed to the front by several percentage points.

I don't know how much "shift" of bias you can do with an IRS, but don't suppose very much. Since all control arm locations are the same, probably not a whole lot, but I am sure you could get some. I just don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

Jazzer
Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I agree with TruBlue...I picked up a Mach 1 and has SS braided lines in the front and only Hawk HPS pads....first time I had to stop "quickly" from only 20mph or so those things grab REAL well. To the point I scared myself...Kinda went "holy **** those work well" to my girl when I did it because I wasnt expecting it.

Just keep the stock GT parts, get better pads, solid rotors, SS lines and better fluid.
When time came to do the brakes on my GT I read around and the effort to switch all the parts AND needing a 17" wheel or bigger wasnt for me. So I was gonna go with SS lines all around, Hawk HPS pads, better fluid and OEM solid rotors. Those alone will give you a good "seat of the pants" upgrade.
After much debate and reading alot of pros/cons for both i've decided to do just this (The juice isn't worth the sqeeze for me). Minus the SS lines and going with slotted rotors instead of OEM rotors.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

You won't even need the slotted rotors, but if you like the look of them then go for it. Again for the money, OEM rotors, lines, pads and better fluid and you will be golden.

Post up when you do it and let us know the difference over stock.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

My pepes............ Brakes Upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down

All you will EVER need to know for brakes on a street ride is in there

Jazzer.... hittin' his homies with the phat links
Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
OP,
I had a 2000 GT and now drive a 2001 Bullitt (same brakes as the Cobra) and the Cobra brakes are FAR superior to the standard GT brakes. I would strongly suggest upgrading at least the front brakes on your GT.

As stated above, until you have experienced the Cobra brakes, you simply don't realize how much better they are than the GT brakes.
I agree with all of this. I'm super happy with my front upgrade.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok for starters, I never race this car, it's strictly a DD. But I've come realllll close to hammering a few deer (they're all over where I live, including highways where I almost hammered one at about 75) not to mention in a panic situation it would be nicer to stop faster and not hit another car. I don't EVER plan on using my brakes to their full potential, but I think having the option to stop faster is worth every penny.

I have corvette brakes on my 93 Taurus SHO and they were worth every penny (stock SHO brakes reallllly suck for anyone that doesnt know). I spent a hell of a lot upgrading my SHO brakes, but mustang parts are damn near given away compared to what I'm used to with my SHO.

That being said it's looking like it's worth doing the upgrade. I figure with a better brake setup they'll probably last longer as well since they won't work as hard as the stock brakes. I was mainly just wondering if the rear brakes were better off left alone, or if it helped balance out the braking. 175 bucks including rotors that I would have to replace anyway is nothing to possibly save my life or someone else's.

Quick Reply: Upgrading rear brakes worth it?