4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The Purp Needs a Clutch.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

just for some added input:

I replaced my stock clutch with an 03/04 Ford Racing Cobra Clutch/TOB and it works fine for me. If my motor could handle it, I would feel 100% comfortable putting numbers close to 500 through it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

09er you were definitely the car I was looking for feedback from with the cammed T trim...that Cobra Clutch has been good for you?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
09er you were definitely the car I was looking for feedback from with the cammed T trim...that Cobra Clutch has been good for you?
yeah my GF can drive my car lol (seriously)

I would stick with the centerforce though if possible. The only reason I went with the cobra clutch was because it was the only clutch I could get delivered to the shop THAT day (without having to wait one business day).

With that said, the cobra clutch works fine for me, and I have no complaints from it. The clutch pedal is easy to press and it "feels" just like stock. I mean, it IS the clutch in the bad-*** 03/04 cobras you see running around... (for the most part)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I've heard of people running 600+ HP on an 03 cobra clutch with no problems....we all know for a fact it comes on a 400hp car from the factory so I know for sure it would hold all the power I have and even lots more...

IMO nothing beats OEM when it can get the job done and then some.

But I can't say anything yet because I haven't physically experienced it in my car yet...but a few personal buddies of mine run them on their and love it
Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

We seem to have clutch threads sprout up ALL THE TIME....lately threads on here could be started asking the best way to wipe your own *** and a name of a clutch could be thrown in as an answer. I'd really like if we could have a thread that could help people choose which clutch to go with based on their power levels. That way if someone comes in at 230rwhp...BOOM, they can reference this thread or any other solid clutch related thread and see that they shouldn't be looking at mcleoud twin discs when they should be looking at centerforce dual friction clutches instead.
So how about....
350rwhp?

400-600rwhp?

600rwhp+?

And I'm planning on a Centerforce clutch by the way..lol
because...clutch is pretty much the same for all those power levels until you start getting into the 600+. hell, i think ox was running a spec stage 1 on his car with 600+ rwhp.

centerforce is an amazing clutch, i have one on my car right now and i will continue to use them in the future. great pedal feel, and honestly it will handle pretty much any power level. emailed centerforce for the holding capacity they said 600+ torque at the crank, but its still a great clutch even on a stock car too. right now im boltons/tune/nitrous and it feels better than my stock clutch for city driving but clamps hard enough to handle any power level ill be making any time soon. people who have centerforces nutswing them for a reason.

king cobras are nice, but you have an 03. that means you'd have to buy a 10.5" flywheel so i think thats technically downgrading on overall clamping ability since you have a smaller clutch/flywheel. i dont think they are rated for as much power as alot of the aftermarkets but they are cheap and good for someone with a bolton car.

spec clutches have one of the highest failure rate of any of the big named clutches. people are shattering disks and having bad problems at 1-5k miles. ALL clutch brands will have their lemons, but spec seems to be the most finicky. i have driven on spec clutches and it wasnt bad, different feeling yes but not bad. but google "spec clutch failure" and see if you want to buy one after that.

havent driven on a ram clutch, but i do hear good things and they are about 50-60+ bucks cheaper than centerforce.

if your stock and have zero intentions on ever making much power or doing any real aggressive driving, a stock replacement will do you fine and cost half as much as buying one of the aftermarket ones.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 01-09-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

ive ran my spec stage one clutch for 15000 miles and ran 400whp through it and ive had no problems just took it off to go with a stage 3 and its still got alot of life left on it.

Last edited by teej281; 01-10-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Deleting all traces of bladerunner
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Ive got a ram clutch in mine and it works great for me. Its a bit heavier than the stock one but you get used to it and forget about it pretty quickly.
Don't really have experience with any others though.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

LMAO! I love reading some of these threads. I am gald you brought this up, because I am sure in no time I will be needing a new clutch. Great information guys!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I think we should make this one hell of an ultimate clutch thread. Even though I have a sour taste in my mouth regarding the Centerforce because I've heard it in every single thread from ***-wiping to motor builds, Centerforce Dual Frictions seem to be the best overall for those from stock power to 500ish rwhp.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I think we should make this one hell of an ultimate clutch thread. Even though I have a sour taste in my mouth regarding the Centerforce because I've heard it in every single thread from ***-wiping to motor builds, Centerforce Dual Frictions seem to be the best overall for those from stock power to 500ish rwhp.
Do it, then I will know if that is the best one for my set up.

Quick Reply: The Purp Needs a Clutch.....