4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Next Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

upgraded brake lines to go along with the brakes?

all the power in the world is no good is you can't control it or stop it, new wheels/tires, any type of suspension upgrade, weight reduction

OR... save up money for a DD so that gas mileage wouldn't be a problem, THEN get gears (4.10s)

edit: pics of the car?

Last edited by tdcalhoun89; 02-03-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: pics of car?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd go suspension and brakes.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Sorry, i missed the gears thing. But i am telling you that upgrading your MAF (at our current power level) will do nothing for you. If you doubt that just ask around. UDP's and a mid pipe will be like a shot of nitrous compared to the MAF upgrade lol.
Only reason I said it is I read a magazine article that dyno tested stuff on our cars and they came up with some power from the MAF. I won't bother though if it's a waste.

Originally Posted by tightdogal
I really don't know why you won't do gears, I don't see what highway driving has to do with anything. I got 3.73's and I didn't notice any difference in gas mileage, if anything, MAYBE a mile. My highway RPM's sit around 2100 or so.

That's really the BEST bang for your buck mod you can do, IMO.

I don't see why you'd get a MAF. And you got a CAI...which didn't benefit you at all besides looking pretty.

But, I guess UDP would be a good mod for you to get, since you're anti-gear.
The CAI came on the car when I bought it, I know it's a waste, I think it sounds pretty good though.

I feel like going to 3.73 won't be THAT much of a difference from factory. If I see a 1MPG drop it's going to cost me another 250 dollars a year to operate. I guess it's not THAT bad, but I just sucked it up and got the 93 octane tune which is costing me $350 more now and it all starts to add up. I might take the tune off in the winter because it's starting to cost to much to run premium.

Edit: with 3.73's at 70MPH you're turning about 2300, and 2450 at 75, IMO that's getting toward the high end of what a V8 should turn on the highway and won't help gas mileage, which is why I didn't want them. I'd love to have them don't get me wrong, but I just don't think it's what I'm really looking for with my car currently. If I had a higher OD gear then by all means I would get gears, but I'm stuck with my T-45 for now.

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
upgraded brake lines to go along with the brakes?

all the power in the world is no good is you can't control it or stop it, new wheels/tires, any type of suspension upgrade, weight reduction

OR... save up money for a DD so that gas mileage wouldn't be a problem, THEN get gears (4.10s)

edit: pics of the car?
Upgraded brake lines are on the way as well. I've got 275/35/18's all around on my summer wheels, and I want to leave the suspension alone for now since it's still got a lot of life left. As far as weight reduction I don't know what I can do that would make sense. I want my stereo, and I don't want to spend the money on a hood or something.

This car was bought to replace my other car and retire it from DD status to weekend warrior, I can't do that again haha

Oh and I don't have any good pics of it right now, I'll post some up this spring probably when it warms up.

I plan on some suspension in the future, maybe springs and a nice set of shocks/struts, but I don't want to go to crazy. Once I can get myself a better paying job down the road I plan on getting a termi, so I don't want to dump all my money into this car now. I just want some power to have a fun DD and that's about it.

Last edited by 69MustangCoupe393cid; 02-03-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Only reason I said it is I read a magazine article that dyno tested stuff on our cars and they came up with some power from the MAF. I won't bother though if it's a waste.

The CAI came on the car when I bought it, I know it's a waste, I think it sounds pretty good though.

I feel like going to 3.73 won't be THAT much of a difference from factory. If I see a 1MPG drop it's going to cost me another 250 dollars a year to operate. I guess it's not THAT bad, but I just sucked it up and got the 93 octane tune which is costing me $350 more now and it all starts to add up. I might take the tune off in the winter because it's starting to cost to much to run premium.

Edit: with 3.73's at 70MPH you're turning about 2300, and 2450 at 75, IMO that's getting toward the high end of what a V8 should turn on the highway and won't help gas mileage, which is why I didn't want them. I'd love to have them don't get me wrong, but I just don't think it's what I'm really looking for with my car currently. If I had a higher OD gear then by all means I would get gears, but I'm stuck with my T-45 for now.

Upgraded brake lines are on the way as well. I've got 275/35/18's all around on my summer wheels, and I want to leave the suspension alone for now since it's still got a lot of life left. As far as weight reduction I don't know what I can do that would make sense. I want my stereo, and I don't want to spend the money on a hood or something.

This car was bought to replace my other car and retire it from DD status to weekend warrior, I can't do that again haha

Oh and I don't have any good pics of it right now, I'll post some up this spring probably when it warms up.

I plan on some suspension in the future, maybe springs and a nice set of shocks/struts, but I don't want to go to crazy. Once I can get myself a better paying job down the road I plan on getting a termi, so I don't want to dump all my money into this car now. I just want some power to have a fun DD and that's about it.
buy parts for a termi and stop buying parts for the GT

/thread
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Cobra brakes all around are already on the way... "
"... Upgraded brake lines are on the way as well... "
Good shoes?
Upgraded fluid?

"... I want to leave the suspension alone for now since it's still got a lot of life left... "
No.... *sniff* sus.... *sniff sniff* ...pension mods

Makes a kitty sad
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

jazzer, ^ this is cracking my up! lol
Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
buy parts for a termi and stop buying parts for the GT

/thread
I'd have to agree. If you're gonna get a Termi, then I'd just stop modding this one.

I want to upgrade to a 2011 5.0 by this summer, so I stopped doing any mods to this current GT. No point if I'm just going to turn around and sell it later on.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

I agree with the guys saying stop modding the GT and wait for the Cobra.

Edit: 1,000th post woot!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Good shoes?
Upgraded fluid?

No.... *sniff* sus.... *sniff sniff* ...pension mods

Makes a kitty sad
Yup, all that will happen when I do the cobra upgrade. Don't worry Jazzer I'll get some lowering springs probably this summer when I cave seeing my 275's looking weird because the car sits high. That way it will force my factory struts to go bad, and I'll be forced to buy some new aftermakret upgrades.

Originally Posted by tightdogal
I'd have to agree. If you're gonna get a Termi, then I'd just stop modding this one.

I want to upgrade to a 2011 5.0 by this summer, so I stopped doing any mods to this current GT. No point if I'm just going to turn around and sell it later on.

Originally Posted by WOH HRSY
I agree with the guys saying stop modding the GT and wait for the Cobra.

Edit: 1,000th post woot!
I plan on driving this car until it breaks in half. It will see 2-300k miles and at that point I'll grab a Termi, or may be even a newer stang if that's what I'm feeling at the time. With my current financial situation I won't be able to realiztically afford a Termi for a while, so I want to enjoy this car for what it is now. I'll have this car for the next 6-8 years probably. Then I'll pick up something faster for my DD and this will become a 10 second track *****.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

No one has mentioned Subframe connectors, they are often overlooked. They are critical for any suspension mods working well. Even on my DD mustang they were awesome.

Like mentioned above pullies are pretty good, they free up some torque and you'll get better mpg with them.

Perhaps an AEM wideband sensor so you can fine tune your sniper tune? I personally saw +11rwtq when I fine tuned my canned sniper tune with a wideband. They run pretty rich... Plus you can adjust your cruising ratio to a hair lean to increase mpg too if you want to save some $$$

Quick Reply: Next Mod?