4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How bad am I getting bent over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

only on the rears do u have to turn and push on the fronts you don't. And you didn't notice anything wrong with the brakes before you took it into him. idk pads i can believe the calipers no.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

It's been a long time since I've had the brakes off this car.. but as I recall it was only the rears that turn. The fronts should just compress with a C- clamp. Make him show you that they are frozen though. Don't just look at it and go "uhhh ok" Make him show you what it should do... and that it doesn't.

As far as the boots being burnt up... it would seem like you would need a lot of excess heat to do that.... maybe the dude was doing a big smoking brake stand burn out in your car and frozen them up.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Lol yea I hear ya. Aren't caliper pistons hard to push in by hand because you have to turn and push? Will I be able to tell if they are frozen? Also, how do the boot get burnt up, excess heat from the brakes?
Not all of them are push and turn, some are just push. Also there are special tools that can help push the pistons back to place with very little effort needed by the mechanic.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Red2002GT
1st Gear Member

Only back pistons should twist.
Like the first poster killjoy said when installing the new pads the caliper piston must be compressed.
I'm trying logically to figure a senario where he could install the pads without pushing the piston back in, or the piston freezing after being pushed back in and everything I come up with is user error and not mechanical.
Possibilities
1. Cluelessness on his part
2. He damaged something/installed something wrong.

Brake pad jobs are grunt work and should not give anyone with experience the type hardship he is having.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Ooohhhhh I've never let a mechanic work on my car's. I've had mechanics HELP me. (Me help them).

haha

That suxors broskiff!

I once had a caliper piston freeze in mid stomp. Piston broke my pad and scored my rotor so bad!

Fun.

DIY man!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
It's been a long time since I've had the brakes off this car.. but as I recall it was only the rears that turn. The fronts should just compress with a C- clamp. Make him show you that they are frozen though. Don't just look at it and go "uhhh ok" Make him show you what it should do... and that it doesn't.

As far as the boots being burnt up... it would seem like you would need a lot of excess heat to do that.... maybe the dude was doing a big smoking brake stand burn out in your car and frozen them up.
The guy might have traded them in for a core charge or something... Then jvog would have no way of seeing the calipers.

jvog, i hope you put some vaseline on your a$$ before this guy f*cked ya! just messin with ya.

The front just c-clamp. The rears need the tool

I can't believe this guy found ALL of these things wrong with your brakes and you never had any problems... What are the chances of both calipers freezing up at the same time ? (serious question)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Yea I have the caliper tool and everything, and I am plenty capable of doing them myself. I just had him do them for convenience. I haven't needed to do brakes on my car (well apparently I had to, I just didnt lol) so I didn't know the front ones didnt need to twist in. I did have my brakes get squishy for a little while on the way to my tuner a few months ago. When I picked the car up they were fine. He said they had been exposed to excessive heat...and I was like dude I don't beat on my car all that much, I've barely driven it and I don't do autocross. Sad thing is its my friends uncles shop, so they kinda know who I am. I doubt they were doing smokey burnouts in my car, but who the hell knows. It just seems like a bunch of bs
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
The guy might have traded them in for a core charge or something... Then jvog would have no way of seeing the calipers.

jvog, i hope you put some vaseline on your a$$ before this guy f*cked ya! just messin with ya.

The front just c-clamp. The rears need the tool

I can't believe this guy found ALL of these things wrong with your brakes and you never had any problems... What are the chances of both calipers freezing up at the same time ? (serious question)
Thats another thing, that $85 is after core. I asked, IDC what kind they are thats high. He can take my old ones in at a later date and get the core charge back
Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You got spanked 6 ways to sunday, I highly doubt BOTH calipers were frozen, then he says he got a bad new caliper???? I think he messed something up on ya and needs time to fix it. Next time hit me on facebook, brakes take 30 minutes at uber back yard deluxe auto shop.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
You got spanked 6 ways to sunday, I highly doubt BOTH calipers were frozen, then he says he got a bad new caliper???? I think he messed something up on ya and needs time to fix it. Next time hit me on facebook, brakes take 30 minutes at uber back yard deluxe auto shop.
Dun dun dun dun dun dun.....

Quick Reply: How bad am I getting bent over?