4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How bad am I getting bent over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Default How bad am I getting bent over?

So I take my car to get inspected. After a couple of hours I get a call saying the brake pads are cracked and if I want him to fix it. I didn't feel like going to get the car, getting the pads, putting them on, and having to take it back down there. So I say sure, I'll pay you $150 to replace the pads (Thats a horrible price, I know.) So a couple of hours later I get another call. When he pulled the car out he noticed the pedal was really stiff so he put it back on the lift. This time, both of my calipers are frozen. $85 a piece for the calipers, and $40 to put them on. Once again, I'd have to get the car back here with supposedly frozen brake calipers and do the work and get it back to them. So I say sure wtf ever just get it done. I just get another call saying that one of the calipers he got was bad so now he can't get another one until tomorrow morning. Now I am $360 in parts and labor plus the cost of inspection....what the ****

/rant
Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

That's funny, because frozen calipers are noticed when the pistons in the caliper are compressed for the new pads, not after the pads have been replaced and the car is being pulled out of the shop. Also, frozen calipers do not make for a stiff pedal.

Was this front or rear? When you go to pick the car up, demand to see the old parts and have home show you the cracks in the pads and the frozen calipers.

Sounds like you just got played by the wonderful auto industry again
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Ouch.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

I already talked to him, he said he will show me all the old parts. He could tell I thought it was sketchy. And yea, you would think he would have noticed it when he was putting the caliper on. He also said my boots were all burnt up. They are front calipers.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Man.... for that price I would have sold you my cobra front brakes with 1,000 miles on them. You got touched in all the wrong places.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Damn... +1 on cobra spec brake calipers/pads/rotors for that price...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Damn... +1 on cobra spec brake calipers/pads/rotors for that price...
Without a doubt
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Yea I was thinking that....my butt hurts
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Yea I was thinking that....my butt hurts
Well first make sure he's on the up and up... make sure your parts were indeed junk. If so, life is too short to dwell on this kind of stuff. We've all made bad deals we regret but life goes on and learn from your mistakes.

Of course if he's pullin' your pecker... burn his house down and/or impregnate his daughter.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Well first make sure he's on the up and up... make sure your parts were indeed junk. If so, life is too short to dwell on this kind of stuff. We've all made bad deals we regret but life goes on and learn from your mistakes.

Of course if he's pullin' your pecker... burn his house down and/or impregnate his daughter.
Lol yea I hear ya. Aren't caliper pistons hard to push in by hand because you have to turn and push? Will I be able to tell if they are frozen? Also, how do the boot get burnt up, excess heat from the brakes?

Quick Reply: How bad am I getting bent over?