4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Horsepower until a car in unstreetable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

heres a street car for you. 69 Yenko. the guy pushing the camaro (Frank) is the owner of PSI Motorsports, he takes this thing out to lunch once in a while lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QSfFPv6Xw
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
heres a street car for you. 69 Yenko. the guy pushing the camaro (Frank) is the owner of PSI Motorsports, he takes this thing out to lunch once in a while lol

Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan86272
First gear is almost pointless with KB and 4.10's on the street.. 2nd gear, I can be rolling at 20mph and go FULL throttle and hook... All Depends on your suspension setup.. Ive seen 400whp cars go WOT and go sideways in 2nd and 3rd... But when you buy $100 tires, what do you expect? Anything over 300whp should have drag radials.....
When I had a 5-speed, my car wouldn't hook NA going WOT in 2nd gear at 20mph with street tires and I have basically full suspension other than ARB. With the Procharger I had no hope of WOT hooking on 295 kdw2s until 3rd gear.

It has a lot to do with suspension and tires....but on these cars, it really doesn't make a difference what you run once you get +450rwhp. You simply aren't hooking at WOT on the street. Of course this is all on dry pavement. Add some rain to the situation. See how fast a car becomes unstreetable in the rain when it is barely holding on to traction on dry pavement.

I definitely agree that you are in charge of the throttle, but anyone who has driven a car near the power levels we are talking about knows how fast a car like that can get away from you.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 03-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
When I had a 5-speed, my car wouldn't hook NA going WOT in 2nd gear at 20mph with street tires and I have basically full suspension other than ARB. With the Procharger I had no hope of WOT hooking on 295 kdw2s until 3rd gear.

It has a lot to do with suspension and tires....but on these cars, it really doesn't make a difference what you run once you get +450rwhp. You simply aren't hooking at WOT on the street.
^ I agree

But Jazzer seems to have that problem down pretty well with handling with a Mustang ,Dont know what power hes making but I hear his car is a beast for handling
Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Pretty sure jazzer is stock power wise.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

I have a buddy with a mystic cobra pushing 1000+ to the wheels and car is fully functional street car.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

His car is stock power wise.

Also, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBpw...layer_embedded

I've posted this video a couple times. Car is over 700rwhp and drag radials and he gets traction pretty well I'd say.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by kugzgt

Ohhhhh Psi.........From what I hear Franks a great guy, but my buddy went to him to tune his on3 performance turboed 96 cobra and he just stopped up unnanounced to check on it after Frank wasn't returning his calls and the car was on a drive up lift with a sideskirt ripped off from the lift.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Traction on the street depends on more than just the car. You guys all forget to factor in the road itself - composition, surface temp, use, contamination etc..... things that are not in the driver's control.

Originally Posted by Moonshine
A motor vehicle is a MACHINE. It is OPERATED by a HUMAN. That HUMAN controls what the MACHINE does.
Yep, if you assume things work 100% of the time. Then something breaks, gets stuck, doesn't work as it's designed to and you have major issues on your hands.

You guys are all acting like the driver is the only controlling factor in the operation of a vehicle. It's not.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

We dont drive toyota's so we dont have to worry about the gas pedal getting stuck lol

Quick Reply: Horsepower until a car in unstreetable?