4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So I have a new project... Should ruffle some feathers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Nice, you can create enemies all you want when they are looking at your tail lights lol.

I'm sticking around for more pics and results. It's funny when someone will mention how much better the LS motors are, people throw a school girl hissy fit because they don't want to except a chebby motor is better lol.

I don't know what I would do if I blew my motor. Prob go with a termi swap for ease, but this should make for an interesting thread.

Goodluck!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

For me it will be missing the sound... The one thing mustangs (late-model) have always had over the Camaros was the look and the sound. You still have the look... but you just lost the sound.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

this is sick, good luck with it, im gonna stay subcribed to this thread
Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
For me it will be missing the sound... The one thing mustangs (late-model) have always had over the Camaros was the look and the sound. You still have the look... but you just lost the sound.
Thats one thing I agree on..Nothing can duplicate the sound of a Mustang for some reason.

But this build really is nothing of new..Hotrodder been doing these swaps for years with Chevy SB's.

Should be a fun build after its complete and bugs worked out.

Corvette and Camaro owner beware

Now heres a swap that is completely wrong in my eyes in a Mustang.Supra Motor

Last edited by Repzard; 03-16-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

this is like chopping off your dick and calling yourself a woman
Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Thats one thing I agree on..Nothing can duplicate the sound of a Mustang for some reason.

But this build really is nothing of new..Hotrodder been doing these swaps for years with Chevy SB's.

Should be a fun build after its complete and bugs worked out.

Corvette and Camaro owner beware

Now heres a swap that is completely wrong in my eyes in a Mustang.Supra Motor
i can beat that.

http://blog.cardomain.com/2006/09/27/rotary-powered-3/
Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo232
Thats just wrong !!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

LSx engine cars can still sound downright mean....F bodies might sound 'worse' because they do not have true dual exhaust, but this car will I'm assuming so mehhh

About the exhaust, would you have to make a custom set of headers? By using the stock-style midpipe and just have custom shorties?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Thats just wrong !!!
yeah. but when you know the backstory it makes it slightly better.

the guy blew up his v6 and apparantly under a stupid law h couldn't put in anything bigger than the factery v8. so he took the engine from his wrecked Mazda Cosmos and put it in the mustang. 20B with 750 hp.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
LSx engine cars can still sound downright mean....F bodies might sound 'worse' because they do not have true dual exhaust, but this car will I'm assuming so mehhh

About the exhaust, would you have to make a custom set of headers? By using the stock-style midpipe and just have custom shorties?
This is true. The F bodies had a y pipe going into a muffler with two outlets for the tailpipes. Why, I don't know, but that's the reason they sound like crap.

I'm going to be keeping my x pipe and Bassani catback. Dynatech and Kooks both make headers for this swap. So I'll be using Dynatech LT's and then trim my x pipe to Fit. The headers are slip fit at then end so I'll just slide my x pipe on, a few clamps and done.

Funny thing is the LSX is so much narrower than the 4.6 that it fits better with LT's in a Mustang body than the 4.6 does, and even than the LSX does in a F body/Vette. It's almost like Ford and GM meant for this to happen.

And there really is no good reason for me to do this swap. It's not power, cause I could have made power with an SC 2/4v. It's not money, cause this isn't a cheap swap. It's not expensive, but it's not cheap. It's not out of ease, cause this isn't as easy as using Ford stuff.

It's mostly a "Because I can" swap. I like the LSX better than the 4.6/5.4 so why the hell not. My Mustang is a toy anyway, so why not have fun with it.

Built Ford tough... with Chevy stuff! lol.

Quick Reply: So I have a new project... Should ruffle some feathers.