4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So I have a new project... Should ruffle some feathers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Hes referring to the 03 cobra terminating the LSx....
Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ahh, I see the subtle 03 cobra hint. I will slowly crawl away in shame now
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Says who? Just because some people may do hack job swaps that make them unreliable, doesn't mean his swap will be.

This is gonna be a good thread of people bashing him for motor choice LOL I'll defend it OP. Going to be funny to see how people bash this swap if you end up pulling the HP you are expecting LOL They will be bad you can make that HP N/A and they are doing it with f/i...
I could care less about the numbers his car makes, im just saying, its going to be a hack job. (He is running a different IP for god sakes).

What about radio? Turn signals? Power steering? ABS? um.... do I need to really list it all?

not hating on anybody, or him on his motor choice. Just saying, its not going to be like he has a mustang.... with a LS motor.

He will have a mustang shell that has barley anything fictional in it

But hey, who cares, hes making 400+ n/a right?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
I could care less about the numbers his car makes, im just saying, its going to be a hack job. (He is running a different IP for god sakes).

What about radio? Turn signals? Power steering? ABS? um.... do I need to really list it all?

not hating on anybody, or him on his motor choice. Just saying, its not going to be like he has a mustang.... with a LS motor.

Good points are GOOD.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er

lol OK, OP what are your plans for said components of the car? If I was to guess since it's "only a toy" He could get rid of those things and not really car. Have it a weekend warrior. In which case he built a poor mans 2000 R LOL NOTHING to it but power.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

OK, a few things to reply to and I don't feel like multiquoting. So...

About it being a "hack" job. Yeah, if I were a hack. The car is going to to be like it came from the factory on the interior minus the shifter. For that I'm probably going to cut out where the cupholders are on the center console and place the shifter for two reasons. One, the shifter will fit better than in the stock location. And two, the shifter is short and would be hard to reach if I put it where the stock one is. And let's face it, it's a pretty good reach right from the factory. Where the stock shifter was I'm gonna fab up a mount and put a trans temp gauge and maybe a wideband or something. It'll look fine.

As far as the cluster goes the F body clusters are almost the same shape with a slightly larger arch on the bottom, which I can cover up with some molded fiberglass or something.

And why the hell wouldn't the radio, turn signals, lights, etc... not work? I'm keeping all the Ford wiring in there minus the engine harness. All that will work fine.

Power steering is simple. I have a pressure line that comes off the pump of the LSX and all the PS is still there in the Mustang. Simply put the pressure line on the GM pump, cut the end that would go to the rack off, then take the pressure line from the Ford pump, cut the pump end off, throw some fittings on it and flare it like a brake line, and put them together. Not too difficult.

ABS isn't going to be touched, and it'll be disabled anyway. I don't give a **** about that.

Why the hell would it not be reliable? You can put any motor into any car and make it completely functional and reliable as long as you know what you're doing.

You can think what you want about my motor choice, but do not call me a hack. Nothing about this will be a hack job. If I do something, I do it right. When it's done, someone not familiar with either car isn't going to be able to tell what I did.

I wasn't happy with the 4v setup mostly because I don't like the motor in general. It can make good power, but I like the LSX better. I figured if I'm gonna spend all this money building a car, why not do it exactly how I want to. And how I wanted to was with an LSX, not a modular. Simple as that. No hate for the modulars, just lots of love for the LSX, lol.

As far as the 14 years to compete with the LSX... The LS1 was introduced in '97 with the Vette. But lets talk about the 98-02 F bodies, since they're more of a fair comparison to the Mustang. Someone said it's not fair to compare the LS1 to the 4.6 because they're nothing alike. True, but the two cars they were each in (Mustang and F bodies) were competitors, which is totally fair to compare. People say "Of course the LS1 makes more power than the 4.6, blah blah..." Well what was stopping Ford from making a similar motor? GM managed to keep a pushrod motor and meet emission standards. The only 4.6 that competed with the LS1 was the 03/04 Cobra, but I'd hope a supercharged V8 could compete with an NA V8. And just because the F bodies stopped production in 2002 doesn't mean the LSX platform stopped. GM went on to make the LS2,3,4,6,7,9 and A. Ford still didn't have a motor to compete until the 2011 5.0. And that's competing with the 6.2 LS3 now. There's still the LS7,9, and A, but those are in Vettes and the CTS-V, so it's not really a fair comparison. I'm just saying it took Ford a long time to catch up with 14 year old technology. No hate for the 4.6/5.0 or Ford, I'm just saying.

But I don't want to turn this into a Ford VS Chevy thread. There's enough of those all over the internet. Go ruin another thread with stupid bull****. I already said why I'm doing this, and someone gave me a big thumbs up for it (forgot who, but thanks, lol).

Lets just keep this a build thread basically. I should have the trans in next weekend, then I'll throw the two together and drop them in the car. I'll take some pics and keep this updated.

EDIT: Oh, and the "is it a Ford or a Chevy?" question. As far as registering it, the VIN still says it's an '02 Mustang GT, so I guess I'll call it a Mustang. However, the name "Muttstang" has been growing on me, lol (get it get it? *ba dum tish!*)

Last edited by Xemeth; 03-16-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Zinger lol. I guess this mean I don't get to respond, oh well
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Zinger lol. I guess this mean I don't get to respond, oh well
Lol. I knew the can of worms I was opening when I posted this. Feel free to reply, I just don't want to turn this whole thread into a debate/arguement/pissin contest/****fest. As long as it mainly stays on topic I'm happy. Although I'm not the internet police, so say whatever you'd like, lol.

I didn't mean to come off as a dick in my last post, I just don't like being called a hack and having someone tell me that I'm going to do a hack job on something.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

No its fine as far as i'm concerned its your thread you should be able to call the shots. I too have seen the truckloads of Ford VS Chevy threads and understand. Whats your course of mods gonna be? The typical? Full exhaust, intake, gears, tune. Then move onto n2o or something else?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Xemeth, no homo, but your titanic response...you had me @ OK.

Quick Reply: So I have a new project... Should ruffle some feathers.