4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is there a middleground? OMGZ SUSPENSE THREAD! err suspension. Characters Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Subscribing because I have always been interested in this.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Did I read that right? You are getting older? Lol
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

When I had my old cobra, this was what I wanted to do... be a car that could go out and do everything, and do it well. And it can be done as I know a guy locally that has a GT that is setup well for autox, open track and can still run some respectable times at the strip. But he's also a very good driver and can really flog it with the best of them.

Autox and open track stuff just requires the car to be much stiffer than what a typical drag car is. Weight transfer is what you want on a drag car and a open track/autox car needs to be very balanced. But in all honesty, if you haven't autocrossed or open tracked much and are fairly new to it... the car will still be better than you until you get some seat time in it. And that's the case for just about everyone their first few times out.

My suggestion would be to give autox/open track events a shot, see how you like it and how well you do with the car as is before you start modding one way or another. Open track stuff is just crazy fun... but it can get very expensive too. Just get you a spare set of rear rims and throw some drag radials on it and go have fun.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I love my IRS. This is all...

Just playin. I actually do have some decent input here. For most, the best suspension setup is going to be a good setup for both kinds of racing, a set of good spherical lca's, a nice stiff set of FLSFC's, good choice of shocks and struts, and some nice springs. This setup will realistically suit most out there. Now when you tweak this case is where you start to get very specific. You start addressing upper control arms you'll get application specific quick if you keep uca's. If you go torque arm/panhard bar, you'll be fine in drag racing so long as you buy the right ta and have the correct gearing to not break stuff. Shocks and struts need special consideration. If you want the best of all worlds, adjustables will be your friend. I will recommend koni yellows for you as they are great quality and will suit your needs well. You can also use these with coilovers for both soft and heavy spring rates. And coilovers are awesome because you can change spring rates and ride heights to your liking.

Anyways, you get what I'm saying. I say set this guy up for twisties, as a twisty machine will perform better in a 1/4 mile than a 1/4 machine will in an auto-x or road course.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by teej281
"... I say set this guy up for twisties, as a twisty machine will perform better in a 1/4 mile than a 1/4 machine will in an auto-x or road course.

You copied The Cat
Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Basically in order to do this listen to Teej. You will have to get coil overs all the way around. 2 different sets of springs for each wheel. 1 with a stiff spring rate for twisties and 1 with a soft spring rate for the 1/4 mile. You will need adjustable shocks/struts so you can switch from a 1/4 mile setting vs a twisties setting. Ideally you will want a PHB and TA and to replace your UCA. If you are trying to keep it cheap though your stock UCA pretty much work "okay"... Well, UCA in general are pretty terrible, but you aren't going to gain much from going aftermarket UCA. Get a solid LCA like a Maximum Motorsports Extreme Duty LCA, CC plates, and you are pretty much set to be fairly good at both.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ The UCA's are indeed the hickup in the twisty equasion.

One can have a fine launch with UCA's, but will NEVER be a great AX or open-track car with them. However, a PHB or WL with TA is fine for launching, although not ideal, but will have your average 4-link pre-S197 rear suspension set the stage to really carve a corner.

Jazzer
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You can..... just bring a bag lunch
Old 03-23-2011, 12:04 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, or in this case, an extremely large bag of money. lol
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Yes adjustable suspensions and drag radials sux for twisties. Soft sidewall.
not sure how an adjustable suspension sucks for twisties... if you set it up for twisties.... hence adjustable.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I am with sxy and golden here

In terms of compromise, you will give up LESS bringing a twisty-built car to the 1/4 and a 1/4-built car to the quarner! Either way, this is gonna take some $$$ and a commitment to mediocrity, as our resident killer of dreams has stated.

You just need to decide what is a higher priority and build your car for such. A proper tire for each situation is gonna be the single biggest difference, so maybe consider a set of 15"s with M/T's or something for the 1/4.

Jazzer... supporter to the killers of dreams
most likeley will take your advice, i pay taxes here at the end of next week (yay!) psych...
but anyway, after that i'll see what all i have money for. I did have a question, reguarding FLSFC, its it at all possible to drop a tranny with FLSFC in place?

Quick Reply: Is there a middleground? OMGZ SUSPENSE THREAD! err suspension. Characters Welcome