4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Nitrous

Still trying to decide if I want to do a nitrous setup or go supercharger but for some reason nitrous just seems like it'd be more fun to mess with (I wouldn't know though).

1. What is needed for a basic nitrous setup?
2. For those who have had nitrous, and maybe other forms of F/I, what are the pros and cons of nitrous?

Was looking at this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/niexfoefikin.html

If I got that what else would I need, or what else would be recommended?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

The only real big down fall of nitrous is that its not always there, but these motors love the spray it really wakes them up!!!!! Just make sure u run a wet system, with a wide open throttle switch, window switch, and a bottle heater.

That kit your looking at looks great. Its only missing the window switch and bottle heater.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The major downfall with nitrous having to fill it. You can make it so it's always there by having a flip switch with both n/a and nitrous tunes, or if you want to be more risky just spray when you want without pulling timing...i wouldn't do that personally. I run a flip switch so i'm very safe and always ready to go in an instant.

One thing to consider as well, is that because of the instant hp and hp generated by nitrous you will outrun most blown stangs even if they have a little more hp than you. Ask me how i know!

Last edited by mrtstang; 04-14-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Nitrous if you want to fly, supercharger if you want to go fast and spend more. ^mrtstang has one the fastest cars on here. He's humble about it though. Lol
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

S/C, do it once
Old 04-14-2011, 12:23 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Lizzy didn't like my response lol!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Nitrous if you want to fly, supercharger if you want to go fast and spend more. ^mrtstang has one the fastest cars on here. He's humble about it though. Lol
Haha maybe one of the faster ones on the stock bottom end, but certainly not in the ballpark of cars like lizzy's and others. I'll gladly take on any stock bottom end blown 2 valve though...maybe even some blown 3 and 4 valves on lower boost.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Thats what I like to hear Rod!!!! Lizzys car is a modern day Eleanor...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
The major downfall with nitrous having to fill it. You can make it so it's always there by having a flip switch with both n/a and nitrous tunes, or if you want to be more risky just spray when you want without pulling timing...i wouldn't do that personally. I run a flip switch so i'm very safe and always ready to go in an instant.

One thing to consider as well, is that because of the instant hp and hp generated by nitrous you will outrun most blown stangs even if they have a little more hp than you. Ask me how i know!
Well put!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I've always thought it would be awesome to have a badass N/A setup with nitrous.

MRT, from the link I provided in my OP, what would you suggest I get to go along with the kit I'm looking at? Is this flip switch you speak of the same thing as a window switch? I want this to be as safe as possible.

Quick Reply: Nitrous