4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

To IRS or Not to IRS

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Do it! I have had mine for 2 years and I AutoX/Open Track my car all the time. The good thing for you there are plenty of Cobra Owners that will swap you even up. If you have a choice don't get a 99 IRS because of the 28 spline. I'm not saying it wont work but why not get one with 31 spline HS's that come in later years
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nel86
Sweet good luck. What kind of springs are u using? Cobra stock? Or aftermarket?
Im using H&R race springs, we hit a hitch in the install yesterday so it's not quite finished yet. Should hopefully be done tonight, we'll see how it goes!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

so what would be a good alternative to the irs? mind you still new to the mustang scene so abbreviations aren't really helping lol. I've been told there are a few suspension kits from steeda that are pretty good, but i'm not sure which one.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nel86
so what would be a good alternative to the irs? mind you still new to the mustang scene so abbreviations aren't really helping lol. I've been told there are a few suspension kits from steeda that are pretty good, but i'm not sure which one.
For suspension, look only into agent 47, griggs, or Maximum Motorsports. I would recommend calling griggs or MM and asking for their opinions for your goal set. I can give opinions but it depends on what you want and how much you wanna spend.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Aereon
For suspension, look only into agent 47, griggs, or Maximum Motorsports. I would recommend calling griggs or MM and asking for their opinions for your goal set. I can give opinions but it depends on what you want and how much you wanna spend.
Im assuming your talking about suspension for twisties, because when it comes to straight line grip and performance, team Z and baseline are they way to go.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Im assuming your talking about suspension for twisties, because when it comes to straight line grip and performance, team Z and baseline are they way to go.
He did say in the first post he wanted the IRS for AutoX
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

that is correct, to me its alot more fun going fast around the corners,
Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I would say be patient until you find the right deal. Do go jumping into buying the first one you see. I know aereon got paid for his, hoss I think was free, teej and I paid a little bit for ours. Don't buy any of the ones who want $1000 or some stupid shiit like that.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I tend to stay out of drag threads cause I know diddly bout em, but yea, I wouldn't have recommend any of the three I posted for drag racing. Sorry for not specifying that in my original post.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I'd you're into racing, go with the expensive top end Griggs stuff or agent 47. For street/race I'd go with maximum motorsports or the entry level Griggs stuff. MM makes great stuff, but when you get up to professional racing you can't really beat the short-long arm style front suspension. And if racing with a solid axle, the torque arms offered by Griggs seem to be stronger than MM. I think you'd be fine with the MM stuff, seeing that you posted on here rather than a racing forum, I take it this is just going to be a hobby. The IRS gets my vote. Smoothness really plays a big part in handling. And the sra will not offer that ever. It's very harsh over bumps and rough surfaces. An IRS with full solid delrin bushings and aluminum mounts along with a good set of dampers and maybe even coilovers or just some decent springs will work amazing. Stay away from poly bushings and mounts though.

Quick Reply: To IRS or Not to IRS