4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

To IRS or Not to IRS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I'd you're into racing, go with the expensive top end Griggs stuff or agent 47. For street/race I'd go with maximum motorsports or the entry level Griggs stuff. MM makes great stuff, but when you get up to professional racing you can't really beat the short-long arm style front suspension. And if racing with a solid axle, the torque arms offered by Griggs seem to be stronger than MM. I think you'd be fine with the MM stuff, seeing that you posted on here rather than a racing forum, I take it this is just going to be a hobby. The IRS gets my vote. Smoothness really plays a big part in handling. And the sra will not offer that ever. It's very harsh over bumps and rough surfaces. An IRS with full solid delrin bushings and aluminum mounts along with a good set of dampers and maybe even coilovers or just some decent springs will work amazing. Stay away from poly bushings and mounts though.
x2 on that, I went with poly bushings cause I was worried delrin would be too rough on my back, but when you're pushing the car hard, the suspension gives just a bit too much for my taste.. Now when I feel like I wanna punish myself again I'm gonna be swapping out all bushings to Delrin, might end up paying someone to do it cause I hate it soo much..
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Actually, delrin and aluminum would be easier on you man. Delrin doesn't bind at all. Compared to my friend's ride and comfort, you can feel the poly binding and mine is as free moving as a bird! Delrin would be better! People switching from poly to delrin always comment on how the ride gets better and it feels a lot more free. I don't know where you got the info that said that delrin and aluminum mounts are harsher from but it's nothing farther from the truth.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Actually, delrin and aluminum would be easier on you man. Delrin doesn't bind at all. Compared to my friend's ride and comfort, you can feel the poly binding and mine is as free moving as a bird! Delrin would be better! People switching from poly to delrin always comment on how the ride gets better and it feels a lot more free. I don't know where you got the info that said that delrin and aluminum mounts are harsher from but it's nothing farther from the truth.
Live and learn man, only this one is gonna be hell to fix lols.. I don't really even remember why I placed the order for poly's I remember thinking of ordering from the guy on svtp but I dunno why i didn't lol.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I can see why you did it if you didn't do much research before hand. You think poly and you associate it with stockish like ride and it still binds so it'd be closer to stock...which it is. Lol but yea, bushings are something you want to do once and ONLY once. Lol
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I can see why you did it if you didn't do much research before hand. You think poly and you associate it with stockish like ride and it still binds so it'd be closer to stock...which it is. Lol but yea, bushings are something you want to do once and ONLY once. Lol
tell me about it.. if I do it I'm gonna go at the summabitches with a drill bit then sit for an hour swearing about how i still can't get the bushing out... then when it's out, I'll sit for another hour swearing about how i can't get the first bushing in.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Aereon
tell me about it.. if I do it I'm gonna go at the summabitches with a drill bit then sit for an hour swearing about how i still can't get the bushing out... then when it's out, I'll sit for another hour swearing about how i can't get the first bushing in.
Can I be present to watch this show then? How about we use firecrackers to get them out?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

How about you both buy the bushing kit for each of your cars, work on the first one together and figure out how to do the bushing kit(hopefully without fugging a lot of mounts or bushing up) and then do the other car so it will be quicker and easier. I bet with two people working on one car and then another learning from the first you'd get it done in less time than if you both did your own cars. Lol
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

How about you both buy the bushing kit for each of your cars, work on the first one together and figure out how to do the bushing kit(hopefully without fugging a lot of mounts or bushing up) and then do the other car so it will be quicker and easier. I bet with two people working on one car and then another learning from the first you'd get it done in less time than if you both did your own cars. Lol
what I learned from pushing these poly summabitches in is they are a pain. =P

and hrmms fire crackers ehhh.. interesting..
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

I'd you're into racing, go with the expensive top end Griggs stuff or agent 47. For street/race I'd go with maximum motorsports or the entry level Griggs stuff. MM makes great stuff, but when you get up to professional racing you can't really beat the short-long arm style front suspension. And if racing with a solid axle, the torque arms offered by Griggs seem to be stronger than MM. I think you'd be fine with the MM stuff, seeing that you posted on here rather than a racing forum, I take it this is just going to be a hobby. The IRS gets my vote. Smoothness really plays a big part in handling. And the sra will not offer that ever. It's very harsh over bumps and rough surfaces. An IRS with full solid delrin bushings and aluminum mounts along with a good set of dampers and maybe even coilovers or just some decent springs will work amazing. Stay away from poly bushings and mounts though.

You are correct, its a mix of hobby, and eventually getting to a few autocross meets here in Texas. See now I'm kicking myself since i saw an add on craigslist for some one wanting $200 for a cobras irs as long as i traded him my sra. Alas the add is no more

At the same time my Mach just doesnt feel like it can grip around corners lately. Any little bump makes me start to lose traction, as well as a pretty rough ride. I'm assuming my shocks are gone in the rear as it seems sunk in the rear, and hearing some poping noises during turning at low speeds. So i figured I'd use the exscuse to get a bit of an upgrade.

As always moneys the issue most of the time. I might have to just go springs and shocks for now.

Damn my lack of funds! lol.

Last edited by Nel86; 06-01-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I cant spell!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nel86
You are correct, its a mix of hobby, and eventually getting to a few autocross meets here in Texas. See now I'm kicking myself since i saw an add on craigslist for some one wanting $200 for a cobras irs as long as i traded him my sra. Alas the add is no more

At the same time my Mach just doesnt feel like it can grip around corners lately. Any little bump makes me start to lose traction, as well as a pretty rough ride. I'm assuming my shocks are gone in the rear as it seems sunk in the rear, and hearing some poping noises during turning at low speeds. So i figured I'd use the exscuse to get a bit of an upgrade.

As always moneys the issue most of the time. I might have to just go springs and shocks for now.

Damn my lack of funds! lol.
Quick check of the dampers will tell ya if they are going out or gone. Press each corner down and watch them settle back, if they don't settle back fairly quickly you're gonna wanna replace that corners' damper.

Post up on svtperformance, you'll get some hits. I ended up getting some money back when I swapped my sra out.

Quick Reply: To IRS or Not to IRS