4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MUFFLERS OR RESONATORS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM
primekyle76

Default MUFFLERS OR RESONATORS

I just purchased a 2004 mustang gt. And I am torn between going with a muffler cat back or a resonator cat back. I would like a deep aggressive tone but I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:55 AM
ModMe
1st Gear Member

If you don't want it obnoxious and loud go with a good set of Magnaflow or Borla mufflers. Resonators "crackle" too much for me. Mufflers are smooth sound with little to no droning on the highway with the above manufacturers. Hope that helps
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Mineral_GT
1st Gear Member

what about headers ?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

On these cars, 3 parts to the exhaust. manifolds/headers, midpipes, and catback. Changing the catback will result in solely a sound increase. Swapping out the midpipe will give a few more hp/tq and swapping the stock manifolds for longtubes will give probably 15rwtq increase on a stock motor without boost. If you do not want the headache of installing longtubes, my opinion would be to go with an offroad X or offroad H and a complete catback exhaust. This will result in better sound and less headaches.

If I were in your position, I would search on youtube and find my favorite sounding exhaust and go to Americanmuscle.com and use the forum discount to purchase the catback of your choice once you are ready.

Some catbacks to look out for are SSS,Borla,Bassani,Magnaflow,Magnapacks and SLP.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I have resonators and with an off road x pipe the cars loud when on it hard. But I get no droning when cruising on the highway which is a plus for me. Magnaflows and borla will give you a good sound that's not too loud like said above. I personally like flowmasters when only switching out the mufflers because you get a very nice rummble....but they'll drone. Either way what you decide the cheapest way to go about it would be to go to a local muffler shop and just have them replace the stock mufflers with which ones you choose. Youtubes a good place to hear different setup
Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 AM
ModMe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
On these cars, 3 parts to the exhaust. manifolds/headers, midpipes, and catback. Changing the catback will result in solely a sound increase. Swapping out the midpipe will give a few more hp/tq and swapping the stock manifolds for longtubes will give probably 15rwtq increase on a stock motor without boost. If you do not want the headache of installing longtubes, my opinion would be to go with an offroad X or offroad H and a complete catback exhaust. This will result in better sound and less headaches.

If I were in your position, I would search on youtube and find my favorite sounding exhaust and go to Americanmuscle.com and use the forum discount to purchase the catback of your choice once you are ready.

Some catbacks to look out for are SSS,Borla,Bassani,Magnaflow,Magnapacks and SLP.

Good luck.
My car was pretty much stock and I got 25 RWHP on a dyno with SLP longtubes. I was surprised too that the sound didn't change much at all with the headers. When I swapped out my exhaust I left the x-pipe off and just had the cats installed off the longtubes and started it up. It was really loud and sounded like an old muscle car.