4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Change trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

About 3,300. It's not terrible but it is definitely not smooth. I had the flywheel resurfaced when the clutch was replaced.

EDIT: I recall the stock clutch being a bit rough as well. I thought it was normal for it to have a bit of a rough engagement.

Last edited by Unsullied_Spy; 09-26-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
BrettK

The clutch seems to engage smoothly, it is more just an audible issue.
I only heard it echoeing off the mini van, but I do not recall any shaking or vibrating unless I let the clutch out badly, I get the bouncing. haha
Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Our cars, the New-Edge Mustangs, are pretty much the last of the true muscle cars¹--basically the drivetrain from a 1/2 ton V8 pickup truck stuck on underneath a flashy body. As such they tend to have a number of quirky noises, rattles. etc. that more refined vehicles lack. I personally like it, just like the headlight switch on the dash. If the dimmer switch was on the floor it would feel just like home...

--------------------------------------
¹ - One of the specific design goals of the S-197 project was to move the Mustang further away from it's roots and make it more "civil". That was done so well that in 2010 they added a "sound pipe" to transmit intake noise into the cabin to make the driver think they are driving a real muscle car rather then a "luxury sports coupe"...

Last edited by cliffyk; 09-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Our cars, the New-Edge Mustangs, are pretty much the last of the true muscle cars¹--basically the drivetrain from a 1/2 ton V8 pickup truck stuck on underneath a flashy body. As such they tend to have a number of quirky noises, rattles. etc. that more refined vehicles lack. I personally like it, just like the headlight switch on the dash. If the dimmer switch was on the floor it would feel just like home...

--------------------------------------
¹ - One of the specific design goals of the S-197 project was to move the Mustang further away from it's roots and make it more "civil". That was done so well that in 2010 they added a "sound pipe" to transmit intake noise into the cabin to make the driver think they are driving a real muscle car rather then a "luxury sports coupe"...
That's.........uh....interesting? Where in the world do you find out all these tidbits of information? On a side note, why would they try to move away from the Mustang's muscle car roots...doesn't make much sense to me...
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
BrettK

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
That's.........uh....interesting? Where in the world do you find out all these tidbits of information? On a side note, why would they try to move away from the Mustang's muscle car roots...doesn't make much sense to me...
They want to appeal to more of the market, as opposed to a smaller section of real enthusiasts. And the sound pipe thing I actually read that awhile back in Car and Driver, I think? Regardless I have heard that as well.

Like some luxury car companies that have an option to have a light flow of air coming through the vents to resemble the wind...just open the windows!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Some people pay ridiculous prices for frivolous options...but if it sells, then more power to the auto maker.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by BrettK
They want to appeal to more of the market, as opposed to a smaller section of real enthusiasts. And the sound pipe thing I actually read that awhile back in Car and Driver, I think? Regardless I have heard that as well.

Like some luxury car companies that have an option to have a light flow of air coming through the vents to resemble the wind...just open the windows!
Yup, that's it--my brother refers to it as the "pussification" of the Mustang...

Here's a sort of related bit of Mustang trivia that some "whippersnappa's" may not be aware of:

In the mid-80s Ford decided the Mustang needed a major redesign and in partnership with Mazda developed a front-wheel drive "more refined and sporty" coupe that would wear the Mustang nameplate. It almost made it to market as the "new, re-engineered" Mustang.

However "it" hit the fan when the Mustang community got wind of the project and because of public outcry the "new Mustang" became the Ford Probe...

Wouldn't that have been enough to gag a maggot?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Is the lower shifter boot still in place, if not exhaust heat can heat up that tailshaft and shift as well, especially if you have long tubes.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
BrettK

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Is the lower shifter boot still in place, if not exhaust heat can heat up that tailshaft and shift as well, especially if you have long tubes.
I am unsure if the lower boot is in place or not, but I know it's stock exhaust, muffler delete.
Also, I have noticed that the **** gets hotter after the car sits not running, after a few hours its still warmer.
Am I right to assume this is still due to the shifter and **** conducting heat more, and from sitting still the heat from the tranny/motor/exhaust is just rising where it can?