4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What do I need to beef up so I don't ruin my car under drag racing conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Default What do I need to beef up so I don't ruin my car under drag racing conditions?

So my modding mentality is going to be this:

I'd like to take my car to the local drag track once I've added significant performance mods to check for gains in quickness. But as I was sharing this idea with a mechanic friend of mine he warned me about potentially damaging various components of my rear end.

My mod plan is:

Tuner...then race to see how much of a benefit it is my stock setup.
4.10's and LOK rebuild kit- have new tunes programmed and race again.
Stall - Race again

A couple years down the road probably a super charger - then dyno tune, and race again.

And if I ever feel wild, maybe nitrous.

At some point in there I'm gonna throw on some stickier tires, and I may race again after that. I'm thinking I don't want to do stickies and a performance mod at the same time and then race cuz I won't know how much of a gain the mod got me.

Here's my concern, if I continually put my car under high torque/high speed tests am I going to add additional wear and potentially damage other vital parts on my car?

Do I need to beef other parts up to ensure that my car can handle these upgrades??? I don't want the stall to rev the motor up all high and kick in those 4.10's and then tweak my rear end or something like that.

What should I be thinking about here???
Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

I think the main thing you should be worried about is your torque boxes. So look into some of those battle boxes they will be strong enough. And then you could go 31 spline axles but since your auto u wont be doing neutral drops (well i hope not) so i dont think you need the axles too bad, I think with the reinforce torque boxes you will be fine
Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Some people luck out and run stock clutch, trans, rear end, sticky tires, etc...and not have problems. I'm one of them lol. I've probably made 30 passes down the strip in my ride. Maybe 10-12 passes on the nitrous. Granted at some point something will give (especially with 500 rwtq) but until then i'm not changing anything.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

A slow auto won't break anything lol
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i have full bolt ons, 4.10's and a 3800 stall with drag radials and i'm not very worried about breaking my stock rear end. with an auto you preload the trans/driveshaft/rear end before taking off so the there's faaaarrrrr less shock then if you were going to launch a manual car.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Awesome...that's really encouraging.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
A slow auto won't break anything lol
Hey! I'll be getting faster
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

that's what i love about the auto it's so much easier on the car when you launch. and it requires far less launch rpm to get good 60's thanks to the torque multiplication.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Torque Boxes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

As a side note, is this the 01 vert you're doing this to? Will they let you run a vert on the strip? I could easily be way off here, but I thought it was a no-no due to the safety issue of not having a hard top.
But back to the original question and related to this too... it would be a good idea to replace the SFCs and put in some other bracing. But wouldn't you need a cage of at least a minimal sort on the strip too? That would account for the other bracing.
It's too early in the morning for me... maybe I'm not making any sense here...

Quick Reply: What do I need to beef up so I don't ruin my car under drag racing conditions?