4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Traction switch problem

Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 PM
fromm

Default Traction switch problem

My traction button light is always on when you start the car. If i push the button nothing happens the light just stays on. What could be the problem
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

My guess is the switch is bad or you have a tune in the car shutting it off.
If you spin the tires does the car feel like its falling on it face ?
That means traction control is on.if the tire spin "burn out good" then the traction control is off.

try and do a smoke show and see if it fall on its face.
if it doesnt then you proboley have a tune shutting it off.

When my 99 GT switch went out the traction control got stuck on car wouldnt smoke them up to well
Old 09-11-2011, 11:59 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

On a 2002 the switch is a normally open momentary contact type that sends a pulse to the instrument cluster, that in turn sends notification to the ABS module (via the SCP bus) that the button has been pressed. The ABS module than toggles the ON/OFF state of the t/c monitor. Even if it were stuck closed the t/c light would not be on.

It is possible that the cluster or ABS electronics are bad, however the most likely reason would be as Repzard said that t/c is turned off in the tune.

What do you know of the car's history--did you just recently get it?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
fromm

I just bought the car a few weeks ago. In some of the post i have read it says that if it is turned of in a tune then the light would not come on at all, is that true. Also how would i test the switch to see if it is bad.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It is not true, when t/c is turned off in the tune the indicator light stays on all the time, it cannot be turned on (indicator off) if disabled in the tune.

Take off shift ****, and pull off the shifter bezel (just pull it back and upward). then unplug the switch and push it out of the panel.

To check the switch, remove it and test between pins 1 and 2 (they are marked inside the connector) with an Ohmmeter or continuity tester. When pressed the switch should be closed, when not it should be open.

However I doubt very much the switch is bad as it switches almost no current and is rather robust--and even if it were shorted (same as pressed) the car would start up with the t/c ON (indicator light off) as it is designed to do. That is why people (like myself) disable it in the tune, because it is a PITA to have to turn it off every time you start the car.

"Traction control" can be easily accomplished by a combination of judicious application of the skinny pedal on the right while modulating the pressure on the left pedal.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM
fromm

That is a little harder for me I have an extra pedal, (5 speed) but it will RUN!!!

Assuming it is not the switch, that it is turned off in a tune, what would I need in order to make it work again.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by fromm
That is a little harder for me I have an extra pedal, (5 speed) but it will RUN!!!
That would the "pedal on the left" to which I was referring and that needs to be modulated to control traction--as in:

"To get some traction I'm riding the clutch, my pressure plate is burning that machine's too much"

Beach Boys Shut Down, ca. 1963

Unless one is stuck in snow there is no logic in applying the brake as an aid to making the car GO...

Assuming it is not the switch, that it is turned off in a tune, what would I need in order to make it work again.
A new tune, complicated by the fact that you now have what is apparently (assuming t/c is off in the tune) a custom tune. That tune could be simply downloaded and reset the t/c on/off scalar value, then reload it. However having gone that far it should also be compared to a stock tune to see what if any other changes were made.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
fromm

What kind of tuner do you use or recommened.

Last edited by fromm; 09-12-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I think you have received good info from the guys above already.
You almost certainly have a tune that has deactivated the TC.

Personally, I use an SCT Tuner and all of my local shops support the SCT.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by fromm
What kind of tuner do you use or recommened.
It all depends on whether or not you plan to learn how to tune your car. If not get one of the handheld systems, as stated by TrueBlue' SCT is a good choice as it is widely supported. If you do wish to learn how to tune your car, which is not difficult or rocket science, then none of the handhelds by themselves are a good choice as they offer only very limited adjustment of a limited set of parameters.

At the highest DIY end of things are products such as SCT Advantage or Delta Force Commando.

Delta Force's Special Forces system is in between these, an advanced entry level system offering more flexibility than a handheld and an upgrade path to DF Commando for when the time comes...