4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

turbo kit. know about it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
what sort of power levels? and im not trying to say that UPR is the greatest company, but i've installed their chromoly k and a-arms first hand for a buddy and they are a decent enough quality peice to get the job done. much better than QA1.

now the rear suspension is another story. thats what takes all the blunt force of the car, and i would NOT compromise on EVER. maximum motorsports or griggs IMO are the only 2 options.
the fox had a low comp 351 in it that was around 300 hp and the 95 had a built 347 with 11:1 and 250 shot. but we were literally going about 35 mph max.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo232
the fox had a low comp 351 in it that was around 300 hp and the 95 had a built 347 with 11:1 and 250 shot. but we were literally going about 35 mph max.
possible that damage from earlier runs could have compromised those parts. just like installing stock-style 4-link rear upper control arms with urethane bushings - if you do enough launches you WILL damage the torque boxes. when they totally fail, is anyones guess... and if i remember right, all of UPR's suspension items are deemed "off-road use only" ? there's just too many different possibilities to throw into the equation...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
possible that damage from earlier runs could have compromised those parts. just like installing stock-style 4-link rear upper control arms with urethane bushings - if you do enough launches you WILL damage the torque boxes. when they totally fail, is anyones guess... and if i remember right, all of UPR's suspension items are deemed "off-road use only" ? there's just too many different possibilities to throw into the equation...
something designed to supposedly be able to run on 7 second cars shouldn't have an issue with an 11 second car. i love the excuses make for UPR. "but they are for track cars" "that car made too much power" people have been killed putting this **** on a street car (the guy with the fox died).
Old 09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend turbo232 but it sounds like were in the minority with faulty parts. I'm sure every company has had failures in their products.

I just don't understand how you want the On3 kit, which almost all the parts are from China, yet say you won't put "junk" suspension on your car. On3 is cheap for a reason. You think every person who puts the On3 kit on their car has success and no issues? If you think that you're terribly wrong.

There isn't anything more to say about this topic. Good luck with the On3 kit if you buy it. Hope you enjoy the "quality" parts that come with it.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:34 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I'm sorry to hear about your friend turbo232 but it sounds like were in the minority with faulty parts. I'm sure every company has had failures in their products.

I just don't understand how you want the On3 kit, which almost all the parts are from China, yet say you won't put "junk" suspension on your car. On3 is cheap for a reason. You think every person who puts the On3 kit on their car has success and no issues? If you think that you're terribly wrong.

There isn't anything more to say about this topic. Good luck with the On3 kit if you buy it. Hope you enjoy the "quality" parts that come with it.
i said i wouldnt put anything on my car that required junk to fit. that means i am not putting it on my car. not everyone has success with Hellion kits, yet they are considered the best. it honestly sounds like you have a grudge against On3 in the first place. either way, i am not getting the kit because A) i wont put UPR garbage on my car (aside from some interior billet, no one can **** that up) B) I would rather pay more for the Hellion and know if there's an issue they will pick up the phones.

the UPR garbage is also made in China.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

False
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i said i wouldnt put anything on my car that required junk to fit. that means i am not putting it on my car. not everyone has success with Hellion kits, yet they are considered the best. it honestly sounds like you have a grudge against On3 in the first place. either way, i am not getting the kit because A) i wont put UPR garbage on my car (aside from some interior billet, no one can **** that up) B) I would rather pay more for the Hellion and know if there's an issue they will pick up the phones.

your more than welcome to try the QA1 option.. only works with the 1st gen kits, they might have a few in stock, or you could get part of it used from someone who's selling it for the forward facing uprade. altho, you will find that more people hate QA1 than UPR.. especially alot of chevy/pontiac guys. the only thing i feel QA1 can get right is spherical rod ends...

if i remember right the 1st gen on3 works with the granatelli kit too lol
it looks like the MMR k-member also resembles the QA1... but you'll have to do some digging and/or emailing On3 to see if anyone has done it succesfully. if not you could always chop it up and re-weld it. you can get cheap stick welders for dirt cheap these days, at the very least tack weld it, and bring it to a shop to weld it. or just do some ugly welds (easily cleanable with an angle grinder)

hell, i'd sell you my entire QA1 setup, plus the on3 1st gen kit for 2k just so i could upgrade to the fwd facing lol i'd even install it for you. you'd need new struts tho...

edit: quote from the on3 website
"We designed it with the Granatelli setup and now run QA1, but most other k-members should fit."
Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

i run Maximum Motorspots or Griggs only. in fact, i have more suspension parts waiting to be installed than most people will even think about putting on.

UPR issues....it's just the powdercoating....
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...D-garbage.html

it's ok ifthe K-membr is crooked as long at it rides straight.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...er-junk-35348/

apparantly this guy also hd too much power.
http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...not-up-to-par/

Last edited by turbo232; 09-20-2011 at 12:10 AM.