4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

upr question ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

UPRSharad, where is all the material bought from that you make all of your suspension parts out of? Is the material US-made as well, or is it just machined and assembled in the US?

I know me personally, after having a bad set of C/C plates from them, and from the issues I've read about on here, as well as Modded Mustangs, Corral, Mod Fords, etc, I won't invest any money in their parts again. Those things sounded like they had marbles or ball bearing rattling around in them. I know that seems petty, but if they can't make a caster/camber plate that functions properly and silently, then I won't trust their control arms or anything like that. The only thing I might ever consider is using their K-member because that is the only k-member that can be used with the forward facing On3 kit. I'd be investing in MM control arms and all that stuff, the k member, and only the k-member, would be UPR.

And guys, USA and quality are not associated as much as they have been in years past. So keep that in mind. I know my Bilstein dampers were made in Germany. They are nothing but top notch. So to rep that parts are made in America isn't so much of a selling point anymore. I appreciate that being made in the US keeps jobs here. But when I'm talking about suspension that is in my car that I daily drive that I must trust and feel safe in, I would only invest in the best.

Sorry Sharad, but I came in here to give my honest opinion, as was asked for. Nothing against you personally, just do not support UPR's products.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Teej, before even questioning UPR quality, I would be questioning the quality of the on3 kit, a good friend of mine had that kit for his cobra and it was total garbage. Cheap turbo (clock bracket mounting holes stripped out) and the piping didn't fit for crap, had to scrap all the hotside after a week or two and order different piping as the welds broke.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Teej, before even questioning UPR quality, I would be questioning the quality of the on3 kit, a good friend of mine had that kit for his cobra and it was total garbage. Cheap turbo (clock bracket mounting holes stripped out) and the piping didn't fit for crap, had to scrap all the hotside after a week or two and order different piping as the welds broke.
he has good reason to question the quality of a suspension part. if it fails, you will most likely wreck and possibly die.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 AM
gears94gt
3rd Gear Member

currently have upr cc plates , upr upper and lower control arms, and upr sub-frame connectors and no problem at all, i would recommend them too.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The new on3 kit is of higher quality. Less piping and the welds are checked for quality and penetration before shipping. Plus there is no way I would use the on3 turbo. I'd be going with a precision billet turbo.

And last time I checked, a turbo kit is an accessory not needed for the safe operation of my vehicle. However, quality suspension parts are a safety requirement. Nah mean?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

I didn't know there were that many problems with UPR. Are their upper control arms any good? I was planning on buying a set within the next few months.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRad405
I didn't know there were that many problems with UPR. Are their upper control arms any good? I was planning on buying a set within the next few months.
UCAs are pointless IMO no matter who makes them. go with panhard/torque arm set up. much more grip and more durable.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by teej281
UPRSharad, where is all the material bought from that you make all of your suspension parts out of? Is the material US-made as well, or is it just machined and assembled in the US?

I know me personally, after having a bad set of C/C plates from them, and from the issues I've read about on here, as well as Modded Mustangs, Corral, Mod Fords, etc, I won't invest any money in their parts again. Those things sounded like they had marbles or ball bearing rattling around in them. I know that seems petty, but if they can't make a caster/camber plate that functions properly and silently, then I won't trust their control arms or anything like that. The only thing I might ever consider is using their K-member because that is the only k-member that can be used with the forward facing On3 kit. I'd be investing in MM control arms and all that stuff, the k member, and only the k-member, would be UPR.

And guys, USA and quality are not associated as much as they have been in years past. So keep that in mind. I know my Bilstein dampers were made in Germany. They are nothing but top notch. So to rep that parts are made in America isn't so much of a selling point anymore. I appreciate that being made in the US keeps jobs here. But when I'm talking about suspension that is in my car that I daily drive that I must trust and feel safe in, I would only invest in the best.

Sorry Sharad, but I came in here to give my honest opinion, as was asked for. Nothing against you personally, just do not support UPR's products.
IIRC, our chrome-moly is made in Indiana. So... your cc-plates sounded like they had marbles in them. Really? You might not associate Made in America with quality, but I think our track record speaks for itself. Chris Little's three Drag Radial championships, Brian Mitchell's four Renegade championships, Chris Escobar's 11+ True Street championships. The list goes on and on. Our parts are proven on the street and on the track.

^^legitimate point! Teej is so concerned about companies' reputations, but then he chooses on3 over Hellion.

Originally Posted by gears94gt
currently have upr cc plates , upr upper and lower control arms, and upr sub-frame connectors and no problem at all, i would recommend them too.
Thanks for the recommendation. I too have been using UPR Products on my street cars and race cars for almost ten years with excellent performance and zero part failures.

JRad, I can't really explain why there are UPR haters out there. All I can tell you is that UPR Products have worked well on my cars, my friends' cars, and on cars that win races & championships every year.

Originally Posted by turbo232
UCAs are pointless IMO no matter who makes them. go with panhard/torque arm set up. much more grip and more durable.
That's your opinion. People share all sorts of different opinions on the internet. We just like to race. (and win)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo232
I would but I daily drive my car and I feel that it would just get way too stiff. I live in NJ and I go to NYC almost every week, so it's pot holes galore.

I figured UCA's would just be useful because mine are probably old and worn. So they could just use a replacement. If I ever don't DD my car I'll do that panhard/torque arm set up.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

I would but I daily drive my car and I feel that it would just get way too stiff. I live in NJ and I go to NYC almost every week, so it's pot holes galore.

I figured UCA's would just be useful because mine are probably old and worn. So they could just use a replacement. If I ever don't DD my car I'll do that panhard/torque arm set up.
you dont lose any ground clearance with the MM kit. the lowest part is still the exhaust.

that's the MM torque arm. see how it tucks up. they have serious grip.

Last edited by turbo232; 10-06-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: upr question ??