4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2003 Mustang GT Head Unit/radio/spears Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
specizripn
1st Gear Member

Default 2003 Mustang GT Head Unit/radio/spears Replacement Help

Ok so I'm thinking of putting in a new head unit with a touch screen radio, gps, backup camera, satellite radio, mp3 etc.

This is the stock head unit, which is very weird shaped...
Name:  m81sP.png
Views: 350
Size:  208.1 KB

Now If I were to replace this head unit, would I need some kind of conversion kit, would I have to fabricate something custom, or do they make the GPS, satellite radio, mp3, radio, etc. etc. that fit in the old fitting? I don't have any problems running the new amps, speakers, tweeters, etc with monster cables I am just a little confused on the head unit fitting. I looked on the internet for around 2 hours but couldn't find any information on the topic, instead It kept bringing up radios for the newer mustangs... Thanks for the input/help!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 PM
specizripn
1st Gear Member

Never mind, Its just a normal 2x hight head unit...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

lol you could have just looked at crutchfield.com and they can tell you everything that will fit
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

You would get a double din headunit and a kit to bolt it in or make it fit is like $9++ http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...5=1&f_733=2770 I got the $9 kit

Last edited by Rockwell28; 10-03-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
specizripn
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! Sorry my last car was a single din, and I'm too dumb to realize its just a standard double din!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
lol you could have just looked at crutchfield.com and they can tell you everything that will fit

agreed...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

dude no offense, but considering the problems you're having already with a head unit swap, i would strongly advise against running aftermarket amps and speakers. it's a much bigger job than you'd expect, trust me...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
dude no offense, but considering the problems you're having already with a head unit swap, i would strongly advise against running aftermarket amps and speakers. it's a much bigger job than you'd expect, trust me...
And it could get very expensive if you do things wrong and either fry you system or possibly start a fire. He may be better off buying all the stuff and dropping it off at an audio shop for half a day.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
It not the easiest cars to install a system in but they arent that hard either. My mustang was the first car i ever installed a system in and it wasnt bad at all. I put in 4 rockfordfosgate punch speakers, a pioneer headunit, pioneer 760w amp, and a 12" pioneer sub ( should of went with a 10" tho). And i even made and wrapped my own sub box which turned out nicer then i expected.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
And it could get very expensive if you do things wrong and either fry you system or possibly start a fire. He may be better off buying all the stuff and dropping it off at an audio shop for half a day.
+1 on this, If you have any doubt dont do it and take it to the pros. Electrical fires are no good at all. I almost had one when i was taking out my nitrous kit, a live wire hit a metal bracket and sparked and sent smoke everywhere.

Quick Reply: 2003 Mustang GT Head Unit/radio/spears Replacement Help