4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Do I need premium gas in GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by tracyballard
I've always used regular 86 octane gas in my 2002 GT, but I was thinking about trying a tank full of 90 octane. Would that make the engine run a little stronger? It runs fine on the 86, but does seem a bit sluggish at times. I think the compression is 9.4:1, which seems borderline high to me, but I don't know anything about the computer adjustments to gas quality on this car.
OP, are they actually selling 86 octane in your "neck-o-the-woods"? That would suck as our cars (and many others) are from the factory tuned for 87.

However the stock tune does run pig rich in open loop, so it may be OK...
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

how many miles are on the car? it might be something like needing new plugs. they will make the car sluggish is they are worn out. i use Motorcraft copper plugs. IMO they are the best to use.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
NO!--the TB bore and throttle plate should NOT be cleaned...

from the shop manual:

I cannot count the number of idle problems that I have traced back to someone deciding to "clean" the black gunk, I.e. special coating, from the TB bore and plate...
as long as you dont use a corrosive cleaner it should not eat at the teflon TB
i believe thats what the coating is.
but i see the dangers it pose, ie debrie falling into engine
Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
sonicx
speed'n

OP, are they actually selling 86 octane in your "neck-o-the-woods"? That would suck as our cars (and many others) are from the factory tuned for 87.

I was wondering that too. I've never heard of a gas station running 86 & 90? I've seen only seen: diesel, e85, 87, 89, 91,92,93, 100, 110, 115 at pumps.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

the octane range around here is 85-90. Occasionally you can find 91 and I think there is one station that sells 92. Of course you could go out to the private airfield and get some 108 av-gas if you needed it.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo232
how many miles are on the car? it might be something like needing new plugs. they will make the car sluggish is they are worn out. i use Motorcraft copper plugs. IMO they are the best to use.
it has 140K miles. I just changed the sparkplugs to motorcraft coppers and cleaned the MAF & TB with the appropriate cleaners, and changed the old K&N air filter for a fresh motorcraft filter. That fixed the trouble codes I was having, but I guess I just expected a little more get up and go for my 260 HP.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

We are fortunate to get 93 octane year-round over here in FL.

A fresh off the showroom floor new-edge GT would only put out 222 or so at the wheels. At 140k, even in top condition, 2% to 5% less than that would be what I would expect.

Re: Spark plugs; the combustion chambers in these cars were designed to run fine wire precious metal plugs, which fire faster and hotter than conventional nickel/chrome alloy electrode plugs. I would recommend installing a set of OEM Motorcraft single platinum, or some other make of platinum plugs. I run the Champion #7963 double platinums, but only because I was experimenting with some aftermarket COPs that fired with reverse polarity.

The Champion #3401 single platinum units would be fine with the stock COPs.

If you want a power boost open up the exhaust to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, then buy a tuner and load a tune optimised for the highest octane fuel you can regularly get. That will move you up to 235 to 240 rwHP. Then install an aftermarket upper plenum and 70mm TB. That will not add any peak HP however it will beef up the middle and upper mid range at WOT, and let the engine pull strongly right out to the rev-limiter.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

A fresh off the showroom floor new-edge GT would only put out 222 or so at the wheels. At 140k, even in top condition, 2% to 5% less than that would be what I would expect.

Re: Spark plugs; the combustion chambers in these cars were designed to run fine wire precious metal plugs, which fire faster and hotter than conventional nickel/chrome alloy electrode plugs. I would recommend installing a set of OEM Motorcraft single platinum, or some other make of platinum plugs. I run the Champion #7963 double platinums, but only because I was experimenting with some aftermarket COPs that fired with reverse polarity.

If you want a power boost open up the exhaust to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, then buy a tuner and load a tune optimised for the highest octane fuel you can regularly get. That will move you up to 235 to 240 rwHP. Then install an aftermarket upper plenum and 70mm TB. That will not add any peak HP however it will beef up the middle and upper mid range at WOT, and let the engine pull strongly right out to the rev-limiter.
i keep hearing from guys like Kurgan, Tim Barth and the crew at MV that a bigger TB is totally worthless for these cars and to spend the money elsewhere like gears or custom tune
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Actually, I was going to install some platinum plugs on my tune up until I got a ton of feedback on this forum telling me that this engine doesn't like platinum plugs and everyone recommended copper plugs.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by turbo232
i keep hearing from guys like Kurgan, Tim Barth and the crew at MV that a bigger TB is totally worthless for these cars and to spend the money elsewhere like gears or custom tune
They are correct in that just changing the TB without upgrading the plenum is a stone cold waste (the plenum is the weak link), and that changing both without getting rid of the pathetic OEM tune does almost nothing...

However they are quite incorrect about doing both and re-tuning, which will accomplish what I described above--improved mid to upper mid-range power at WOT and and extension of the usable power at the high end.

Click here to find out why...

Quick Reply: Do I need premium gas in GT?