4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Steeda's Clutch adjuster kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Steeda's Clutch adjuster kit

Do any of you have this? If so, does it improve shifting? What exactly is this adjusting? Where the clutch engages?

http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-...ter-kit-p-3757
Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

It improved mine. The clutch had trouble disengaging because my tall *** has to come at the pedal from an angle. The new unit doesn't flex at all and the problem is gone.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

I am also looking at getting this kit as I will need a heavier duty clutch than the stocker to handle the S/C.

I have heard though that getting a new OEM cable from Ford is the way to go, as the aftermarket ones tend to break.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The Steeda Clutch Adjuster is intended to replace the OEM quadrant that can flex under power shifts or when you add a heavy duty clutch.

We have not seen that to be true with our cables. Our cables are made to withstand some of the harshest conditions that the drives puts on it. Here is a write up on our cable that is included in the kit:
All Steeda clutch cables features a stainless steel inner cable and low friction Teflon lining, along with a high-durometer bushing at the firewall for improved clutch response and cable life. This bushing is much more durable and will not prematurely split and fail like lesser bushings. Steeda is the only company with these features, making this the finest quality clutch cable you can get for your Mustang.

Steeda's stainless steel cable will not allow the cable to rust through and is more durable, unlike all other cables on the market that are made from lesser quality galvanized steel.

Clutch adjustment can be adjusted by turning a nut at the end of the cable when the cable is used in combination with the required Steeda’s aluminum quadrant.

Part number 172-0000 is designed specifically to be a direct bolt-on to '79-'95 Mustangs with V8 Engine Only. PN 172-0201 is the correct length and has the proper bracket for direct bolt-in replacement in any '96-'04 GT, Bullitt, or Cobra. PN 172-0301 is a non-adjustable, stock-replacement cable.

Please Note: All cables shown require an aftermartket quadrant, like Steeda's Double Hook Quadrant!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Here is the direct link to our site:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...d-mustang.html
Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The Steeda Clutch Adjuster is intended to replace the OEM quadrant that can flex under power shifts or when you add a heavy duty clutch.

We have not seen that to be true with our cables. Our cables are made to withstand some of the harshest conditions that the drives puts on it. Here is a write up on our cable that is included in the kit:
All Steeda clutch cables features a stainless steel inner cable and low friction Teflon lining, along with a high-durometer bushing at the firewall for improved clutch response and cable life. This bushing is much more durable and will not prematurely split and fail like lesser bushings. Steeda is the only company with these features, making this the finest quality clutch cable you can get for your Mustang.

Steeda's stainless steel cable will not allow the cable to rust through and is more durable, unlike all other cables on the market that are made from lesser quality galvanized steel.

Clutch adjustment can be adjusted by turning a nut at the end of the cable when the cable is used in combination with the required Steeda’s aluminum quadrant.

Part number 172-0000 is designed specifically to be a direct bolt-on to '79-'95 Mustangs with V8 Engine Only. PN 172-0201 is the correct length and has the proper bracket for direct bolt-in replacement in any '96-'04 GT, Bullitt, or Cobra. PN 172-0301 is a non-adjustable, stock-replacement cable.

Please Note: All cables shown require an aftermartket quadrant, like Steeda's Double Hook Quadrant!
Yeah no. Your cables suck along with a lot of the other aftermarket ones. I broke your steeda cable on my 94 within a year. I put the OEM one back in and it lasted for over 2 years (until the cars demise) on the same settings.

Everything in your kit is top notch except for the cable.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We have them on our test cars and have not seen to many of them brake even under harshest testing.

Can you elaborate on when and how the cable broke? We appreciate the kind words of the rest of the stuff in the kit, but we want total satisfaction for all the units in the kit.

Did you make a call to customer serivce informing them of the cable breaking? Was there any follow up done to resolve the issue?

Let us know so we can figure out why this particular cable may have broke. \

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 02:00 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
We have them on our test cars and have not seen to many of them brake even under harshest testing.

Can you elaborate on when and how the cable broke? We appreciate the kind words of the rest of the stuff in the kit, but we want total satisfaction for all the units in the kit.

Did you make a call to customer serivce informing them of the cable breaking? Was there any follow up done to resolve the issue?

Let us know so we can figure out why this particular cable may have broke. \

Thanks
Not picking on Steeda or any aftermaket company but it is well known that adjustable clutch cables are just not as strong as the OEM cable. Cable is not as thick, this is a fact!!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Also if doing an aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster and you are gonna put a new cable (OEM) on you are gonna need the UPR triple hook quad as a new OEM cable will not have enough slack to work with a double hook quad. If however you are gonna install the quad/firewall adjuster and gonna use a broken-in OEM cable it will work fine!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Not picking on Steeda or any aftermaket company but it is well known that adjustable clutch cables are just not as strong as the OEM cable. Cable is not as thick, this is a fact!!!!
This pretty much sums it up.

It would have been a waste to call customer service. All I would've gotten was an apology and a loss of my time.

The cable broke on my way to school. It completely frayed around the part of the cable that attaches to the fork. And yes...it was properly adjusted. Here's a pic.

Quick Reply: Steeda's Clutch adjuster kit