4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some opinions ....which car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Well if you go between a 4V swap or the GTO, then it comes down to what you like better, ford or chevy.

Things I would think about:
-cost of mods for each car
-cost of repairs/parts avaiable (GTO drivetrain will be same as mustang but I don't know about where to get GTO specific parts)

Pay attention to the feel of both cars just driving around. How they make YOU feel when driving them. It sounds strange, but I LOVE my Mach 1 for the 4V sound and power but also because it creaks sometimes etc. The 05+ GT's are too "floaty" and ride TOO nice for me. I don't feel like I'm in a muscle car. I don't know how the GTO's ride/drive so I can't comment.

Another thing to think about, IF you do the whole 4V swap and maybe trans...you start to cut down the amount of people you can resell the car to. Some people (like me and MANY others) like a STOCK car. Especially when it comes to muscle cars so they know if they are stock, then they were't beat on TOO much lol. You start requiring people that either KNOW mustangs (will look it over to make sure it was done right) or people that don't know car and are just in AWE of the swap who will buy it..."Awe man I just bought a GT with a Cobra motor in it!!!!" Even though its one onf the most common motor swaps out there...

For $15K you can have a sweet 4V cobra motor and possibly 6spd trans in your GT and make it a sleeper (miles depend on what motor you buy). Or just jump into a stock GTO with 55k mi.

The STOCK (good thing...no one messed with it) GTO with 55k mi and the LS motor sounds pretty appealing to me (assuming I like how they drive)
Dude you remind me of one of my friends the way y'all think lol it's awsome ! And you do have a point...for 15k I could really make a mean sleeper gt...really could. But it does come down to what I want...and now I'm thinking is putting a cobra motor in my car with the trans even worth the hassle ? Cause it is alot of work...Idk right now I guess I'll play it buy ear and see how it goes and what happens..my wife does not want me to get the gto she hates them! Lol (the way they look ) lol but the ultimate desision is up to me correct if Im wrong but wouldnt a gt with the cobra motor and eaton blower smoke a stock gto? At least form like a 40 punch?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Agree with Killjoy

Get the GTO.
LSx are bad @ss motors and will make much more power than any 4.6 Liter

Sorry but its the truth, Mfers
As much as I love the Mustang and the 4.6L

LSx will make more power on less money we all know that
Yeah that ls2 is a hoss...wonder do you know how much a blower is for it?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dudewright0715
correct if Im wrong but wouldnt a gt with the cobra motor and eaton blower smoke a stock gto? At least form like a 40 punch?

I still think the GTO would pull it.Honestly
Stock for Stock
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Mustang_Girl_32

Get the GTO.... my bro had one and it was insane how powerful it was... you won't regret it.. Besides that 05 GT won't compare and Idk how you feel about how 05 bodies and up but i would just pass myself. However, that is just personal opinion.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I dunno about a blower cost for a GTO. I woudn't think it's much more or less than one for a GT or Cobra from Vortech ~$4k new.

I agree with Repzard...LS motors are better than the mod motor...proven fact. People can and have gotten pissy over it because you will prob find them slipping their weiner in the tailpipe of their mustang at night sometimes. I accept/respect/like all fast nice looking rides. I can find the enthusiasm and appreciate in a 400hp civic...so I think it sounds ghay? Yes...would I drive one? Hell no....but 400hp is 400hp.

In the end, the LS motor is JUST as easy to mod as the 4.6 and mod for mod it will beat the 4.6. Not to mention you are "starting over" with a car that only has 55k mi on it...clean slate/canvas to do what you want with it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

I dunno about a blower cost for a GTO. I woudn't think it's much more or less than one for a GT or Cobra from Vortech ~$4k new.

I agree with Repzard...LS motors are better than the mod motor...proven fact. People can and have gotten pissy over it because you will prob find them slipping their weiner in the tailpipe of their mustang at night sometimes. I accept/respect/like all fast nice looking rides. I can find the enthusiasm and appreciate in a 400hp civic...so I think it sounds ghay? Yes...would I drive one? Hell no....but 400hp is 400hp.

In the end, the LS motor is JUST as easy to mod as the 4.6 and mod for mod it will beat the 4.6. Not to mention you are "starting over" with a car that only has 55k mi on it...clean slate/canvas to do what you want with it.
Another thing is LSx motors take to mods MUCH better than a Ford 4.6 Liter.
2V just dont do well to mods except for SC\FI of some kind.
even then you still will not make the power of that LSx motor.

4V can compete but it will cost you a ton more money to build over the LSx.

Im a Chevy guy of the past and cant say I was kinda disappointed when I bought my first Mustang after find out what need to be done to compete with the 350 CI.

My wife LT1 Corvette keeps up with my Cobra very well and its BONE STOCK
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

For 15k into mods on your car you can drop an 03/04 engine and t56 transmission in it. Upgrade the blower and put around 600rwhp to the ground. One thing to keep in mind with the GTO is the rear tires. There isn't much room back there and so when you start making more power you can't upgrade to wider tires without mini tubbing it. I think the max width tire you can get on a GTO is 275.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

If you plan on spending 15k on a motor you will have a ba motor I have been pricing one out for my car and have been around the 12k range and the is the Frpp boss 5.0 block stroked out to a 5.3L with.ported Ford gt heads, fr500c intake manifold and custom cams. An I only would do that if i was looking to push 25-30 psi with a centri or turbo.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Save your money for a new 5.0
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Yeah you do have a point...I think I want a 05 or 06 gto just because I think I have had the car for a long time and the feel of it..I want something different and my brothers gto is awsome his is like his baby lol never has seen a rainy day or bad weather ever...I think I want the gto unless something happens and can't afford it ATM ...I might have to just put in a factory new 2v for 5k if money was tight when it comes to it

Quick Reply: Need some opinions ....which car?