4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Im running slicks in the rain, i aint scurred. Honestly bfg DRs or nittos will be fine
You know Uber what you said does have some merit to it. Street tires are all like condoms, one might feel a little different or better than the other, but in the end they all do the same thing. Slick is always better
Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I have heard good things about the NT05's in wet conditions. They will be superior in grip than the 555's, in either wet or dry conditions, but will cost you more $$$ for sure.

Jazzer
How are these compared to the Sumitomo HTR Z III?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

my sumi htr z II's hold up pretty decent in the rain, i did a pretty sharp curve (considering) on the interstate at about 80mph weekend when it was raining. not smart, but wanted to push them a bit harder than normal (i've had them for a year, so i'm familiar with how they handle, and more importantly, how my car handles)
Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayglaze
Being I live in fl I've posted there but not sure how often people go it so I'll ask here also. What tire do you guys use in fl due to the rain that grips well. If the roads are all but dry I drive like an 80 women with no confidence that the car won't kill me lol.. I dd my car 100 miles a day. When the roads are wet I drive very conservative even with TC. I don't know if it's my tires or just the car. Thanks in advance for your advice
All you want is to drive comfortably in the rain, so the car doesn't get "wobbly" when changing lanes on the freeway right?

If so buy a set of wider wheels, and tires... you can find used wheels for cheap and you can throw some cheap tires on the car and you should be fine. I have some cheap $85/piece sumitomos 315/35/17s on the back of my 2000 gt and in mild rain i can go WOT in 2nd gear, and get traction.

All the stickier options work good for the rain too... but drag radials won't last too well driving 100 miles a day... and they'll lose their stickiness really quick.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by sonicx
You know Uber what you said does have some merit to it. Street tires are all like condoms, one might feel a little different or better than the other, but in the end they all do the same thing. Slick is always better
Lmao, nice.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ condoms FTL Real men get shaved by other men and have their junk snipped

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
How are these compared to the Sumitomo HTR Z III?
Of the two, I would go with the NT05's for a cornering performance tire and the Sumi III's, if for year round and LOTS of wet weather grip is needed.

Jazzer
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Of the two, I would go with the NT05's for a cornering performance tire and the Sumi III's, if for year round and LOTS of wet weather grip is needed.

Jazzer
So I'm assuming, especially if they are to be my DD summer tires (where I'm sure it'll rain), you would also chose the Sumi III's > N555's as well?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would take the Sumi III's over the NT555's, yes! You can drive the NT05's in the wet, but would be very conservative in them. I drive like a grandma on ludes in the rain, so I could probably get away with my R888's in a hurricane!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

I would take the Sumi III's over the NT555's, yes! You can drive the NT05's in the wet, but would be very conservative in them. I drive like a grandma on ludes in the rain, so I could probably get away with my R888's in a hurricane!
Ok, thanks for the info. I never got a chance to compare the Nittos to the rest of the tires at tirerack.com (I don't think they even carry them) so I wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up a better tire. Can't wait for the spring! New axle/gears and tires, watch out! Btw, can you take a peak at a couple questions on another thread?: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...tang-gt-3.html
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Sumitomo's are dogshlt tires. I would buy Yokohama S Drives WAAAAAYYYYYY before Sumi's. I've had fantastic experience with many sets of Yokohama S Drives...

Quick Reply: Tires