4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mach 1 to GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:03 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Nothing wrong with the car/motor itself, but keep in mind with it being a GM/Pontiact product it's going to come with the normal GM/Pontiact issues. Paint is usually the worst problem with these cars as GM paint tends to fade/crack/peel extremely fast compared to other cars. Also the sub frames are much more prone to rusting over time than Ford. These are the types of things to look out for. Not saying that Ford is better, but with that said Ford products are more consistant with durability than GM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

i dont really like the look, but the power is obviously amazing. I have a thing for black WS6 trans ams. definitely the pontiac i would buy if i were to get one. to me its what you like more, power or looks, but with the right amount of money both can be had with either platform
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Nothing wrong with the car/motor itself, but keep in mind with it being a GM/Pontiact product it's going to come with the normal GM/Pontiact issues. Paint is usually the worst problem with these cars as GM paint tends to fade/crack/peel extremely fast compared to other cars. Also the sub frames are much more prone to rusting over time than Ford. These are the types of things to look out for. Not saying that Ford is better, but with that said Ford products are more consistant with durability than GM.
You obviously don't have any experience with more recent GM products. The interiors are kinda cheesy on the GTO's, but that's about it. I haven't seen any GM cars in the past 10-15 years that had paint/rust issues, except for the trucks used as plow or work trucks, but that would happen with any brand used for that. Hell, my 99 Blazer is 99% rust free aside from a few exhaust studs, and the paint looks new.

The early 90's and before the paint sucked. But if he's buying a GTO it won't be any older than 04 so that's not an issue to worry about.

Crash, the build is almost done. I had a few financial things that took priority over the car, but I should be starting it for the first time either this weekend or next. Depends on when the harness shows up. Otherwise it's ready to roll.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
You obviously don't have any experience with more recent GM products. The interiors are kinda cheesy on the GTO's, but that's about it. I haven't seen any GM cars in the past 10-15 years that had paint/rust issues, except for the trucks used as plow or work trucks, but that would happen with any brand used for that. Hell, my 99 Blazer is 99% rust free aside from a few exhaust studs, and the paint looks new.

The early 90's and before the paint sucked. But if he's buying a GTO it won't be any older than 04 so that's not an issue to worry about.

Crash, the build is almost done. I had a few financial things that took priority over the car, but I should be starting it for the first time either this weekend or next. Depends on when the harness shows up. Otherwise it's ready to roll.
yeah in the past my 84 eldorado,84 cutlass had a few rust issues but my 01 blazer xtreme, 06 tb ss, 06 gto, and current 05 bonneville gxp no rust or paint issues at all on any of them all GM products.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Get a brand new GT. Still a mustang(good looks) and with full bolt-on's and tune you're looking at 450rwhp almost(with a boss manifold). Its a great platform and the high revving nature of the motor and the close ratio trans is just a killer combo. And they sound heavenly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7GZeS6Mh9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BqLI_UtsY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWu5d6kfAf8
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

^ if he is sayint the ls6 cts v is too steep which they run like 23k+++-27k thats about the same pricerange or even lower than Some of those used 5.0s. You can pick up those ls2 goats for as low as 15 grand miles and location depending. thats a big chunk of change difference.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea by the sounds of it...the new GT is out of the question. Me personally would do it since it seems like you're not SUPER attached to your car.

The LSx power is awesome and I LOVE the look of the LS2 GTOs. Yea i mean the possibilities are endless w/ the LSx. Ever since my dad got his WS6 I've been in love!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
^ if he is sayint the ls6 cts v is too steep which they run like 23k+++-27k thats about the same pricerange or even lower than Some of those used 5.0s. You can pick up those ls2 goats for as low as 15 grand miles and location depending. thats a big chunk of change difference.
Lets factor some stuff in here for a second...

1. Brand new car means new car warranty
2. Brand new car means new car financing(longer term and MUCH better apr...talking multiple points here which really add up quick)
3. Brand new car means nobody beat the snot out of it for thousands of miles before you owned it
4. Brand new you can get a base GT for around $26k with little to no miles, especially if you're a member of the Mustang Club of America(members get x plan pricing which is invoice plus 4% of dealer fees I believe)
5. Brand new car and the new Mustang's crash test ratings with the latest safety technology means insurance discounts.(Heard of people getting rid of their new edges and saving money on insurance because of the step up in safety equipment)
6. Newer interior and better interior features(even in the base model the interior is sweet)
7. You get to pick out what you want. If you want a performance white GT base with the brembo package, you can get that exact car. Versus having to search far and wide for the car you want on craigslist or ebay or what have you.

I can't knock on the GTO for gas mileage because the GTO would probably beat out the new GT for that.

Even if you buy a used one, you can probably get them through a certified program with low miles and get decent financing options through Ford. The GTO's are too far out of production(5-6 years) to be included in any certified programs except for the last year and then you'll still probably pay a nice chunk of change for the car and might as well buy a newer car(not even just a mustang).

Now before everyone gets on a high horse thinking I'm freaking out, I'm not. I sell cars, and a lot of times people dont quite think about all these things before purchasing a different car. I'm just trying to help smitty make an informed decision and laying out all possible options for him.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

since you are a dealer teej I have a question for you. How much does a brand new car depreciate in value once you drive it off the lot under your name? And how much will that 26k stang(i havent seen them that low around here) but how much would that be after the years of payments and finance charges credit depending? I just think back to when I was taking Automotive service in High school and the service manager came to talk to us about the future in the courses we were taking and he told us he would NEVER buy a brand new car bc of the depreciation once you drive it off the lot under your name and that was coming from a management rep talking to future mechanics. Now a salesman may have said something different bc its thier job to well Sell. Maybe he advised us wrong thatwhy im asking you if the heavy price drop is true. that was the late 90s he told us that I know things change over time. And if he is talking about the ease of modding the ls car then with mods already in mind we know that kinda voids warranties thats if having a warranty is an issue or not.

and an extended warranty can be purchased on used cars also bc on our tb ss the warranty got used MANY times and we didnt pay a dime and on our bonneville the motor got replaced under the extended warranty and we didnt pay a dime.

All of that aside though from the things he stated in the 1st page I dont think he's looking to spend around 30k wether it be a new stang or new camaro. At least thats what i drew from the budget range he is looking at.

Last edited by Rockwell28; 12-17-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Just buy a honda or subaru and be done with it /end thread

Quick Reply: Mach 1 to GTO?