4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Draining old gas.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
SchmigShady

Default Draining old gas.

I have a 96 gt that i just did a NPI to PI intake swap. The car has gas in it that's about 2 years old. It want's to sputter a little bit when reving the car. I am waiting on new plug wires from summit racing that could be part of it. But anyway i want to drain the old gas out it. has almost a 1/2 tank of gas in it and i wanna do it without dropping the gas tank. I know on my other cars Ford Probe Gt's that i can use a paper clip in the diagnostic port to jump to termianls and that would force the fuel pump to run. does the mustang have something similar is there a way to force the fuel pump to stay running? that way i can just pop off the fuel line at the fuel filter and let it pump into a gas can till its dry?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if I like that idea. Why not just get some additives. Or siphon the gas out? Anyway, on top of the tank and just under the car is a connector that operates the pumps. From what I remember you should be able to jump them from there but it has been years since i effed with my tank and I don't quite remember...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 AM
SchmigShady

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
I don't know if I like that idea. Why not just get some additives. Or siphon the gas out? Anyway, on top of the tank and just under the car is a connector that operates the pumps. From what I remember you should be able to jump them from there but it has been years since i effed with my tank and I don't quite remember...
What kind of additives are you talking about? like octane booster? if it runs good enough i might just drive it till runs out. Guess i could siphon the gas out also just don't feel like drinking gas lol. if i do run it the old gas is not gonna hurt the injectors is it? i will probably wait to change the fuel filter till the old gas is out
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Yea you can use octane boost...parts stores have a bunch of additives that improve the performance of gas like fuel system cleaner, etc. I also believe there are siphons that use mechanical pumps so you won't have to inhale or ingest gas. If it is running fine tho just use the octane boost and drive it out. You should be fine...