4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Body work for spoiler delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Default Body work for spoiler delete

Does anyone know for sure what our trunks are made of ? Been looking all day and I know it's either SMC ( sheet molded composite) or FRP ( fiber reinforced plastic) ? Reason I'm asking is I did the spoiler delete and filled the holes with fiberglass from the underside of the trunk with tape on the top to hold the fiberglass. I painted the trunk myself with dupli color with bad results then had someone at my job who paints repaint it. And know matter what, the outline of the spoiler holes always comes back??? Anyone know how to fix this ? Going to have the painter paint it again , but he wants to knock my fiberglass out and reuse fiberglass. I see there are SMC and epoxy resins that are sold , just not sure if I should have him use that.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I am pretty sure it's SSOCS (Some Sort Of Composite Shît).

But seriously I think it's glass/epoxy like the hood--could be way off base on this. I will ask my brother. He worked in the plastic molding industry for 30 years and has a '99 GT that came to him with a dinged hood--he fixed it and you would never know...

I'll get back...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Ok thank you. If I need to buy the 2 part epoxy it's like 40 dollars so just want to be sure.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

I really have no clue what I'm talking about but my buddy works at a body shop and did his.. he said he used "kitty hair" on the bottom and bonding to fill in the holes.... body work was the same and his results came out real nice...
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

I would use a SMC repair product. It is different then just regular fiberglass. In theory yes u could use like duraglass bodyfiller to fill them but most likely it will fall out.

My main question is did you bevel out the spoiler holes from the topside? Cause if you didn't the holes will always show back up after a couple of heat cycles no matter what you used to fill it with. In my field we call them buttholes when they show back up like that.

The right way you wanna do it is gonna be to bevel out the holes from both sides, then get some fiberglass mat or cloth and squeeze out some smc repair on it. Now a trick I do is put the smc repair on the cloth on one side, then put that side down on some wax paper. Take the other side and apply more smc repair to it and put another piece of wax paper on top. With a roller smash the smc repair into the cloth so it is completely saturated with the product. Apply a small amount of smc repair to the decklid and then put you cloth on just like you would if you where using fiberglass resin. Oh yeah take off the wax paper too, it is just so you could mash in the product to the cloth, and it is less likely to stick to the wax paper.

I've had good luck with Plio Grip SMC repair made by valvoline, 3m and lord fuzor makes good ones too.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

No we didn't bevel the top. My dad fixes little SCCA race cars and he wanted to patch it from the bottom/inside the trunk. So our fiberglass job "buttholed" I watched an Evercoat video on you tube where they used a 2 part epoxy and matte then I watched one from 3M where the guy just squeezed the 2 part epoxy onto the panel after beveling it and just let it dry and sanded it like bondo ?????