4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How or why did you choose your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

I was trading in my blazer xtreme at the time after i gave up on the idea of swapping an ls1 into it. I was looking at 05 GTO's at the time but they were 24 grand and up used(with low miles) and the salesman said since I was looking at sports cars he walked me over to a 2003 black centennial mustang with 8,000 miles on it the price was 17grand. I got it that night and after going through 14 cars in the past 13 years the mustang is the one ive had the longest it was back in 2005 that i got it and dont plan on getting rid of it no matter what other car I get in the future.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I sold my Nova on the plane coming back from Iraq to a guy in my platoon. I used his Ex-wifes (My Ex Adulterous Girlfriend) truck with him and went to the first dealership I could find outside of Barstow califorina, in Victorville. I seen it and bought it in 45 minutes. I couldn't even drive stick at the time.

I stalled it every time I got off the freeway and every time I stopped. That Night I took it on a 300 mile road trip. Over the next three months I drove back and forth from California to Michigan 5 times. I stopped stalling it on the second trip.

I learned to do burn outs 8 months later.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Explosive

Well, I was 19 and had saved up money and sold all my vehicles ect. I wanted to buy a car with cash. Obviously wanted a terminator badly. That wasnt happening at 19 without a loan, also always loved Machs as well. So I looked and looked but they were all out of my price range. So I decided buy a real clean GT and use the leftover cash to build it up.

I was working at a Ford dealership in the service dept at that time. When the used car dept sent over a vehicle for inspection. Think it was an 02 GT. 7000 miles the thing looked like it just rolled off the line. Took it out back and drove it to see how it was. Liked it and went next door to work out a deal. Someone was already looking to buy it. Some woman. So I ran back and forth all day trying to get that **** car. Told our used car manager I was serious and had cash as being 19 I always feel I'm not being taken seriously.

Long story short I did not get that car. So I spent a while looking online for a nice GT. One day I said hey I'll just look at Mach's again and see whats there. Sure as hell there it was on craigslist about 400 miles away went and looked at it on the 4th of July. Spent about 3 hours there looking it over ect. left a deposit and the next weekend I went down and drove it home. This July will be 2 years.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

It's a long story, but... basically I wanted an E36 M3, Camaro/Firebird, or a Mustang. I found a Camaro I wanted, but it was way too much. I couldn't find any M3s in my price range in the condition I wanted. My dad found 2 Mustangs, mine being the better deal. Went to look at it and signed the paper work right there. Drove it home that night.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Bought my gt back in the fall of 06 my senior year of high school didn't do anything to it for the first couple years, got the mod bug planned on building the motor and putting a turbo on it the parents told me not to dump all this money and power into a vert, they tell me to go buy the car I want so i dont do anything else to it till I graduate college or get a full time job. Searched svtp for 6-8 months looking for a sonic blue twin screw cobra and finally found one in Georgia flew down with my dad to pick it up and drive it back. Once I get home the next week I take my cousin out for a ride and the clutch goes up in smoke as i shift into 3rd gear. The car sat for 2 months till I could afford my twin disc and all my money flew out of my pocket from that point on and with 10-12 thousand dollars in parts in the last 2 years it will be an 800+ rwhp car
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Grew up in Alaska, my neighbor had an extensive collection of cars including a stingray and a newly acquired 69 gt500 he restored and invited me over since I was ogling it when it was rolled off the trailer. Started it up and scared the crap outta me cause of how loud it was and after the first ride around town I was hooked.

Had a 2000 v6 with a few mods on it, drove by the dealership one day and saw my the 03 gt for sale. In 05, an 03 gt with 10k miles with iup, after trade in I left the dealership with a 5k loan. In a way I regret not waiting to find a redfire termi but picking up a 2 year old gt with 10k miles for 3k under blue book at the time was a pretty damn good deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Had many vehicles prior to the Bullitt, 2 of which were mustangs. Several of life's wonderful surprises had resulted in me driving a ZX3 Focus for about 4 years and I was getting a HUGE urge for another Mustang. After having a motorcycle accident and giving up riding, my wife decided that I should channel my enthusiasm into a V8 Mustang again.

With a somewhat limited budget, I began looking for a decent Mach1, but they were all a little above my budget and I refused to buy a car with more than 25,000 miles. I found a clean 19,000 mile Bullitt at a CARMAX 3 hours from home. It was basically a 2V Mach1, so my wife and I drove up the following Saturday to see it. I drove it home that day.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

2005 and I was looking for a V8, specifically a 2000 or later SS or WS6 with a 6spd, and no T-tops (since my last car leaked like crazy.) Incredibly hard to find (ie...impossible) so I went looking for a 2005. All the dealers here had jacked up the prices (I was told at a couple of dealers they could get me into one for 50k. Yeah. If I could afford that I would have bought a Vette.)

Missed a 04 Azure Mach 1 with 1200 miles for 18k by 10 mins, but they had my car available. Took it for a spin, and loved it! I wish I did some more research, because I would have went with a Mach or a Cobra if I had known better.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
Bought my gt back in the fall of 06 my senior year of high school didn't do anything to it for the first couple years, got the mod bug planned on building the motor and putting a turbo on it the parents told me not to dump all this money and power into a vert, they tell me to go buy the car I want so i dont do anything else to it till I graduate college or get a full time job. Searched svtp for 6-8 months looking for a sonic blue twin screw cobra and finally found one in Georgia flew down with my dad to pick it up and drive it back. Once I get home the next week I take my cousin out for a ride and the clutch goes up in smoke as i shift into 3rd gear. The car sat for 2 months till I could afford my twin disc and all my money flew out of my pocket from that point on and with 10-12 thousand dollars in parts in the last 2 years it will be an 800+ rwhp car
Not going to lie bro, Real talk - I'd fukk your car. I love it. But 12 thousand bucks in 2 years isnt exactly a great investment lol
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

My mustang is my first car. I always liked mustangs but really knew nothing about them. Pick mine up for $4300 with 104K on the clock. Everything was mechanical sound, just needs some fresh paint. I have learned a lot over the year that I have owned it. Hopefully this summer I will have enough saved up for fresh paint and a drop.

Quick Reply: How or why did you choose your car?