4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

V6 vs. V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

I think Ford did a great job with the V6 and V8 and it boils down to what the buyer is looking for. I should have bought a V6 because I have no real intentions of racing or anything to that nature. Just wanted to own a Mustang because of the name and looks. Thinking back, I think I bought the V8 because two PFC's (Private First Class) in my unit bought 5.0's and all the smack we were talking to each other (me being a Staff Sergeant), my Ego got the best of me and I got the V8, LOL
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

To join the chorus, some people just appreciate the lines and overall look of a Mustang, but don't need to have the most powerful engines, and transmissions, and all the go fast stuff, just to drive to the local market to pick up some bread, milk, and eggs!

My wife is a good example of that. She has had 4 Mustangs, and of those, only one was a GT model with a V8, all the rest were V6's. She can't drive a manual transmission, not for lack of trying on my part, so the car has to have an automatic transmission. But it doesn't need to have a 400+ horsepower engine, or be modded out the whazoo, for her to drive a couple of miles to the local Stop-n-Rob to pick up a few groceries, and drive home to put the car away in the garage until her next foray out to pick up something else.

When she does feel the need for speed, she's more than happy to satisfy her craving by riding shotgun in my Mach 1!

Last edited by Mach1man; 02-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

My friend from high school had a V6 mustang. He wanted something reliable and couldn't afford the V8 and the insurance. He eventually put a Y-pipe on it and a cat-back and the damn thing sounds like a V8. He regularly gets asked about what kind of engine he has b/c it doesn't sound like a V6. The thing is also coming up on 200k.

I would have bought a Termi if I could afford one. And if I could afford a Termi, I would have bought a M3 or an Evo/STI instead. What's the point of having a 2V 4.6L that only makes ~260hp when you can have a monster like the Termi, or a Mach1?

Mustangs, in general, are good looking cars. They're fairly affordable at various trim levels. People who want a sporty, good looking car, will buy the one they can afford. The V8 is more expensive than the V6... some people want a Mustang, but can't afford one with a V8. That's the point of the V6.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Chicks need something to drive As said above more V6's are sold than V8's

^^^Only a V8 sounds like a V8. A V6 might sound relatively decent but please.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

Default True all BUT

What I really son't get is the guys who buy the V6 and then mod the hell out of the engine. American Muscle did it (to sell their parts of course no problem there) but after they put all that time and effort in it made 400 horses....wait that sounds familiar...
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

There's some guys in the s197 v6 section that are supercharged and make 350 whp. Which I make
Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mineralpony
Not everyone buys a Mustang for power (but most do). I know my friend got a v6 because of insurance and gas and just that he doesn't need the power....he just wants to put the top down and go for a cruise.
Can't argue with that one...
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
I mean this in the absolute nicest way I can possibly say it -
You sound like a fukkking moron.
Again, I mean that in a nice way.
Welcome to the forum
Nothin like a nice warm welcome to the forums lmao hahaha
Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sofaking5.0
What I really son't get is the guys who buy the V6 and then mod the hell out of the engine. American Muscle did it (to sell their parts of course no problem there) but after they put all that time and effort in it made 400 horses....wait that sounds familiar...
Rational 1: Someone can't afford a V8 so they buy a V6. So they have the sunk cost of a V6 Mustang. They eventually decide to mod it and so on... so they mod their V6 instead of selling it, then finding a V8 they want, buying that... then having to save up more money to mod the V8 like they want.

Rational 2: Why do people mod 4 bangers like Evos, STIs, and so on? I know several Honda guys with a built Civics making over 600whp. Why don't they just put all that money into getting a NSX or doing some sort of huge V8 swap? B/c it's what they're into/want to push those engines to their limits. Different strokes for different folks.

Obviously American Muscle did that to show people who own V6 Mustangs, "Hey, we've got **** to mod your car with. Look, it'll make over 300hp! Come buy our V6 Mustang ****!" This goes back to why bother modding a 2v Mustang GT or even a 3V Mustang GT and so on... why would you mod a new 5.0 GT when you could mod a Shelby with a 5.4? or just buy a fox and drop a huge engine in it and order a full suspension setup from Maximum Motorsports...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Depends on the car for me personally.

For instance... Mustang, Camaro etc.. I'd want a V8.

80's G-Body? I'd take a Grand National (V6 4.3L Turbo) over a Monte Carlo SS or Olds. (305/307)

I also just drove my friends BMW Z4 Roadster-M which has a (I think) 350HP 6-Cyl and accelerates like a raped ape.

Quick Reply: V6 vs. V8