4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Possible future 96 GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

looks clean for a 96, congrats on the purchase and don't worry bout the power, throw a full exhaust on there and you'll forget all about it
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
revikan

Originally Posted by Shredder505
looks clean for a 96, congrats on the purchase and don't worry bout the power, throw a full exhaust on there and you'll forget all about it
Its got pypes x pipe and american thunder 44 catback, sounds real nice. I'll probably get some 3.73 gears to help it out a bit. I'm not to worried about power its just most my buddies are honda guys. Their hondas are built right, and they are quicker then my v8. But I dont sound like a pissed off weed eater anymore so its all good
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by revikan
But I dont sound like a pissed off weed eater anymore so its all good
I love this sentence.

Not to take away from the import guys, but in my town here there are plenty of crap boxes with fart cans running around. Built right they are pretty neat in their own right (fast/furious style) but here, they just aren't built right
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
revikan

Originally Posted by aschroeger
I love this sentence.

Not to take away from the import guys, but in my town here there are plenty of crap boxes with fart cans running around. Built right they are pretty neat in their own right (fast/furious style) but here, they just aren't built right
Yeah there are plenny, rather TOO many POS civic's running around. Most of my friends have clean hondas, my roommate has a nice 06 si, other friend has a b20vtec crx. Both are faster then my GT, but I'm not too worried about it. Overall I have a better car, more fun to drive, and just more manly. My old civic was pretty quick, probably quicker then my GT but atleast now people look and they give me a thumbs up, rather then laugh at my econo **** box. I would probably rather have my old WRX then my GT but the WRX to me was a pain to work on, and the stock 5 speed transmissions are ticking timebombs
Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

Its got pypes x pipe and american thunder 44 catback, sounds real nice. I'll probably get some 3.73 gears to help it out a bit. I'm not to worried about power its just most my buddies are honda guys. Their hondas are built right, and they are quicker then my v8. But I dont sound like a pissed off weed eater anymore so its all good
its all good, 3.73's and a good dyno tune will definitely make a major diff in the way the car feels. Good luck with it
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Good looking car!

stick, ill never own an auto!!
My man!

Before you start modding, as I'm sure you've already figured this out... figure out what your plan is for the car. If you're not going to go with F/I, I'd strongly recommend going with some 4.10s. I think you'd be surprised how awesome the car sounds if you swapped that x-pipe for a h-pipe. Flows just sound better with them IMO. Lowering the car will also help out big time with getting rid of that 4x4 stance.

I love properly built Honda's... they just don't have the same deep grumble an American V8 has.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM
revikan

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
Good looking car!

My man!

Before you start modding, as I'm sure you've already figured this out... figure out what your plan is for the car. If you're not going to go with F/I, I'd strongly recommend going with some 4.10s. I think you'd be surprised how awesome the car sounds if you swapped that x-pipe for a h-pipe. Flows just sound better with them IMO. Lowering the car will also help out big time with getting rid of that 4x4 stance.

I love properly built Honda's... they just don't have the same deep grumble an American V8 has.
I don't plan on F/I. The most I would do is either a mark viii swap or a full PI motor swap, which ever I can find cheaper and less miles. How much worse is the 4.10's on gas mileage? I do like to travel a lot, so would it still be safe to take on long trips? I was always under the assumption that higher you go with gears the less you want to be on the highway at +60mph for long periods of time
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

this +1

the only sounds I love more then an american V8 are a Lambo V10, Lambo V12, and a few british V8 (aston martin, jag)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Heres the mustang:

Nice and congratulations on the new ride. Appears to be in awesome condition. My advice in order of needs:

#1 - Lower it. Many good quality lowering springs on the market. Cheap and gives the car a whole new look and feel.

#2 - Go 4.10's. The difference between 3.73 and 4.10 is minute, but a lot more noticeable in the seat of the pants. Don't fear the gear. And they will put them ricers in their place. Behind you...

#3 - That radio antenna has to go. Just too tall. Looks goofy. Get a 14" or 8". You might lose a little radio reception, but looks are more important...lol

#4 - Staggered look. Get some 10.5" wheels and 315 tires for the back. If money is tight, go wheel spacers. Some hubcentric 35mm or 1.5" spacers will give you that staggered look and get rid of that "tucked under" factory look at a fraction of the cost.

#5 - Different wheels. Some factory style Bullitt wheels look awesome on these cars. They have an old school muscle car look to them, and are fairly cheap at American Muscle. AM usually has killer deals on complete tire/wheel packages. Kill two birds with one stone and get their staggered package.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I don't plan on F/I. The most I would do is either a mark viii swap or a full PI motor swap, which ever I can find cheaper and less miles. How much worse is the 4.10's on gas mileage? I do like to travel a lot, so would it still be safe to take on long trips? I was always under the assumption that higher you go with gears the less you want to be on the highway at +60mph for long periods of time
- First off, you just bought a V8 Mustang. If gas mileage is a big concern, you may want to look at getting back into a Honda.

- The gas mileage difference between the 3.73s and 4.10s isn't that much, if any at all.

- Just for your own reference, I have 4.10s and recently drove to Philly and back on the Pa Turnpike (roughly 130 miles both ways) and maintained ~72MPH. Did do some driving around Philly and then some driving the next day around home on some back roads. While I wasn't driving the car like I was racing the Nurburgring, I wasn't driving it like I was driving my grandmother to her Sunday church service either... I got just under 25MPG.

-I think getting over 20MPG is very acceptable for anything with a V8, let alone a sports car/muscle car/whateveryouwanttocallit with a V8. You can easily get 20MPG with 4.10 gears regardless of what kind of driving you do IMO. Don't forget if you get a set of gears, you'll want to get a handheld turner to recalibrate the speedo. American Muscle is a great place to order anything you need for your car.

Quick Reply: Possible future 96 GT owner