4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

First performance mods.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

Hey Subbz, what part of CA are you from? Anyways, gears would definitely be a nice addition but that is going to cost you around $500-600 for gears and install. Might be able to get it a tad less if you get a used set but don't skimp out on paying the shop. Make sure to find a good one.

With that being said, try and think about the long term goals of your car. If you plan on going FI (forced induction aka turbo charged or supercharged) I would go with 3.73 gears or 3.90s. If you plan on staying NA (naturally aspirated aka all motor) I would recommend going with 3.90s or 4.10s. 3.90s is the bastard child of gears (can I say that on here?) but I use them and love them. Not many people consider 3.90s when looking at gears because they are overlooked.

If you are unsure of long term goals for the car, then you could always get the exhaust completed now because that would be beneficial regardless if you stay NA or go FI. Definitely switch out the stock air filter with a K&N.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

I'm from Northern California in the Bay Area. I was actually thinking of going NA only because I'm concerned about the longevity of my engine and because of the price of the supercharger since my car doubles as my daily driver. I will however keep that in mind when I finally choose my first set of mods. I've also been emailing some shops about their prices on installations. I'm just waiting for their response.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

What is your goal or plans for the car. If ya want just a fun little bolt on car? "I" (like others have said) would do gears (go with the 4.10's exhaust and short throw shifter. All of these will be a good bang for the buck and really make you love your car!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by code3GT
What is your goal or plans for the car. If ya want just a fun little bolt on car? "I" (like others have said) would do gears (go with the 4.10's exhaust and short throw shifter. All of these will be a good bang for the buck and really make you love your car!
^^^^ THIS
Definitely do the gears and tuner first. Nothing else you do to the car will make as much impact on how hard it pulls thru the gears on acceleration.

Exhaust is a subjective item, so you will have to do your own homework on that one. Sound clips may be an OK starting point, but you REALLY have to hear a set-up in person to assess it properly (Also from inside the car is VERY helpful).

Be honest with yourself right from the start regarding what your budget will be and then make a comprehensive plan of mods that fit within that budget.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy the new mods
Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Gears make the jaws drop, Exhaust makes the panties drop.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
Well put
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll definitely keep those things in mind.

Lol. I don't need help making the panties drop =]. Though I do need help making the jaws drop so I'm gonna go that route. Also I'm thinking of getting performance mods that aren't really noticeable when you first look at it. So subtle changes that won't be noticed until I've already jumped off the line. Keeping the mostly stock appearance for now lol. I guess I'll work on the more aesthetic mods later on, I just want as much power as I can get for now without breaking bank.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
munch
DO NOT TRUST THIS MEMBER - http://mustangforums.com/forum/forum-issues-and-feedback/723187-fraud-user-name-munch.html

i second 4.10s
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!! If I wasn't here as a site vendor, that would be quoted in my signature for sure!!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!! If I wasn't here as a site vendor, that would be quoted in my signature for sure!!
HAHAHA...LOVE IT!!!!!! I prefer em not to wear panites anyway!!!!

Quick Reply: First performance mods.