4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension mods...where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension mods...where to start?

Hey guys,

I am currently pondering what mods I want to get next for my 1998 GT Vert with a 5-speed.

I was going to go ahead and get a plenum+throttle body, but then I realized it might be a better idea to do some suspension work, especially because it is a convertible.

So I am wondering what I should do to the suspension to make it handle bumps better, put the power down better, take turns better, etc.

I was thinking of starting off with Maximum Motorsports full-length subframe connectors. I am not sure where to go after that, however. What are the most cost effective suspension mods?

Thanks,
DutchManDann
Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

The full length subframe connectors r a good start, after that I would go with springs and some lower control arms
Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Dutch.... are your ULTIMATE goals, improved cornering or off-the-line?

Some suspension mods will help with both, but a decision must be made on direction, if you want to really accel at one or the other. In order of what I see as the best starting point:

1. Tires ~ #1 item on your car to help maintain grip of the road. The type of driving will dictate the make/model/size of tire
2. FLSFC's ~ Lots to choose from, must get them welded in place
3. LCA's ~ At least one spherical end and make/model depend on 1/4 mile use and tires you would run there.
4. Decision time...

Jazzer
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

First mods Subframe connectors and torque box reinforncements.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Dutch.... are your ULTIMATE goals, improved cornering or off-the-line?

Some suspension mods will help with both, but a decision must be made on direction, if you want to really accel at one or the other. In order of what I see as the best starting point:

1. Tires ~ #1 item on your car to help maintain grip of the road. The type of driving will dictate the make/model/size of tire
2. FLSFC's ~ Lots to choose from, must get them welded in place
3. LCA's ~ At least one spherical end and make/model depend on 1/4 mile use and tires you would run there.
4. Decision time...

Jazzer
I think my ultimate goal is off-the-line. I don't really like cornering quickly anyways i don't know why. I want the power to be put to the ground better.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
First mods Subframe connectors and torque box reinforncements.
It seems Subframe connectors are a good investment from what you guys are saying, so those will probably be my next mod. I already have a strut-tower brace that I am going to install as well so between that and the subframe connectors, I am hoping to reduce the body flex significantly
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Get a decent pair of lowering springs. Usually that means CC plates and new shocks/struts as well depending on the level that you drop it.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you plan on drag racing and running a sticky tire, u need your torque boxes welded or down the road it will be costly to repair bad rips.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DutchManDann
I think my ultimate goal is off-the-line. I don't really like cornering quickly anyways i don't know why. I want the power to be put to the ground better.

It seems Subframe connectors are a good investment from what you guys are saying, so those will probably be my next mod. I already have a strut-tower brace that I am going to install as well so between that and the subframe connectors, I am hoping to reduce the body flex significantly
I wish I had put mine on earlier. Ride increased substantially and the car lost a lot of the flex, as well as some of the infamous mustang squeaks. As already stated, get weld-ins, do not even bother with bolt-ins.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kast1376
I wish I had put mine on earlier. Ride increased substantially and the car lost a lot of the flex, as well as some of the infamous mustang squeaks. As already stated, get weld-ins, do not even bother with bolt-ins.
How are these: http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximu...onnectors.html ? They are the unpainted Maximum Motorsports full length. I would sand them down and paint them before the install so as to prevent any further rust under the car.

Oh and my car was already lowered slightly...I think like 1/2 inch or so. No CC plates or anything. It's something that I will have to re-do myself at some point down the road because I don't really trust that the previous owner did a good job

Last edited by DutchManDann; 07-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DutchManDann
How are these: http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximu...onnectors.html ? They are the unpainted Maximum Motorsports full length. I would sand them down and paint them before the install so as to prevent any further rust under the car.

Oh and my car was already lowered slightly...I think like 1/2 inch or so. No CC plates or anything. It's something that I will have to re-do myself at some point down the road because I don't really trust that the previous owner did a good job
Same exact set I used. Just make sure to prime and paint them (Not sure if the primer is even needed, I just did it just in case) after install to prevent rust.

Quick Reply: Suspension mods...where to start?