4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

lowdown on throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 AM
bluep7

Default lowdown on throttle body

I have a bbk CAI system. I am by no means an expert so i have been trying to educate myself a bit. I have read mixed reviews on adding a larger throttle body. Can anyone please give me the lowdown on whether or not it would be beneficial to replace the stock throttle body with a 70mm BBK throttle body?
Thank you-
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

The upper plenum is more important than the throttle body. Read more here:http://paladinmicro.com/?frm=AccufabFlow01.htm Look though this site, tons of useful info!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

if you are planing on buying a throttle body (TB) then just save up and buy a plenum and TB at the same time. And a 70mm TB will be good for a mostly stock car
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

since the plenum is the big week point, i just suggest getting both and go with the bbk 78mm plenum/tb 1 piece unit. it's a good piece and you'll feel a little gain plus a lot better throttle response plus looks great.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
if you are planing on buying a throttle body (TB) then just save up and buy a plenum and TB at the same time. And a 70mm TB will be good for a mostly stock car
^^^This
Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Like the others have said, a TB is kind of pointless and a waste of money.. What other mods do you have done?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The upper plenum is the weak point on new-edge GTs, however until you open up the exhaust and get rid of the stock tune any money spent on the inlet side of the intake manifold is wasted, or at best a down-payment on future benefits--to be realised after you open up the exhaust and get rid of the stock tune...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
bluep7

OK forgive me for my ignorance, but what specifically does a tune do as opposed to the stock tune? I'm all new to this, but I'm learning.

I bought my 04' GT used and can't seem to locate the original owner to see what exactly he did. All I know for sure is that he did the Bassani exhaust and a BBK CAI. The car is wicked fast no joke and I feel like he may have done more, but I can't really figure it out. I test drove other GT's and they all really had nothing on the GT I bought.

Off topic a little so back on track. What would a "tune" do, what type of tune should I get, and how difficult would it be to install? Also, should I go what the others said and go with the 78mm bbk TB/PLenunm combo?
I know you can be very technical in your answers Brother so explain it to me in knucklehead terms.
HAHA,
Thanks in advance.
Oh and 1 more thing. I think I read on one of your other posts about gas. I currently only put 93 octane in. Am I wasting my $$$

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The upper plenum is the weak point on new-edge GTs, however until you open up the exhaust and get rid of the stock tune any money spent on the inlet side of the intake manifold is wasted, or at best a down-payment on future benefits--to be realised after you open up the exhaust and get rid of the stock tune...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

A tune changes your fuel mapping and timing around to get a better burn.. I'm trying to explain this simply.. Air and fuel compress together and ignite via the spark plug. If there's too much fuel the burn is rich and needs more air.. If too much air the burn is lean and needs more fuel.. You want the perfect balance to get the best burn creating the bigger explosion which makes the power.. The timing changes when the spark actually happens, making it happen when it's too early (advanced can really hurt the motor). Too late and it's not getting the optimal power. Just right and it gets the best compression of fuel and air just the right time to send that piston flying back the other way.. All tuning does is change those things around just right to get the best "explosion" possible in the cylinder, therefore making the most power...

By freeing up the exhaust, you allow more gas to be moved out of the engine, allowing for more air to be brought in. You can't just bring in air without the gasses being moved out. So with an intake and all that other stuff there's only so much it can do without the exhaust expelling all those spent gasses. Things like factory headers are very restrictive, long tube headers can flow gasses much faster, allowing you to introduce more air into the motor...

Now together, changing things doens't require a tune as things like MAFs and o2s do a job of metering air intak and burnt gasses output, but they can only do so much and don't know how to handle upgrades as easily.. A tune will do a better job and make it just right..
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, good answer...

Quick Reply: lowdown on throttle body