4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What Will it Make?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Nice. Hopefully this setup will work for me. Doesn't look like I'm going to have any clearance issues but you never know. Bad news of the day is that I finished everything and was putting in fluids to get ready for the initial startup. Coolant went in and shortly after I noticed I was getting a drip coming from my oil filter adapter. 1 of the bolts isn't torqued down enough and its causing the leak. Bad news is that its almost impossible to reach the bolt.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

and you thought this was gonna be done and tuned a while ago... lol. but atleast you're correcting all these issues before the tune, would suck to not see any leaks until it builds a lot of pressure in the system and blows that gasket out on the dyno.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
and you thought this was gonna be done and tuned a while ago... lol. but atleast you're correcting all these issues before the tune, would suck to not see any leaks until it builds a lot of pressure in the system and blows that gasket out on the dyno.
Yeah, I know :-( Removal went like 10x faster than the install. I would probably be done by now if I didn't work 60 hours a week.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
TCStangerv6
2nd Gear Member

Any updates?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TCStangerv6
Any updates?
Its been cold AF so I haven't really touched the car in a couple of weeks. My tuner went on vacation and wont be back until Jan 7th so it hasn't been much of a rush. At any rate, the car is done except for an oil leak coming from the oil feed fitting. Gotta get that taken care of then I'll finish the break in and go get it tuned.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

When's the appointment for the tune?!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Just thought I would give a quick update... So anyway got the car back together finally but there were several things that I didn't like. The oil drain tube ran dangerously close to the piping and I was worried about it burning a hole through it. Also, the oil filter relocation hoses were rubber and were too close to the downpipe for comfort. Relocated the battery to the trunk and the battery wasn't charging so I didn't know if I had the wiring wrong. Also, the o2 sensor was hitting on the steering rack boot and the tie rod was hitting on the downpipe. I ended up dropping the car off at the shop to have them fix the minor stuff. Found out the wastegate was also trash and the turbo apparently the seals are shot and the turbine wheel has hit the housing. Ended up needing a new Alternator as well (everything was wired correctly). So now I have a new alternator and the battery is charging fine and a turbonetics wastegate. Just put in an order to Precision for their 7275 CEA turbo good for 1015hp and it should be here either Friday or Monday. After that the car will officially be done and I can get it tuned. Gotta love unforseen problems.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
Just thought I would give a quick update... So anyway got the car back together finally but there were several things that I didn't like. The oil drain tube ran dangerously close to the piping and I was worried about it burning a hole through it. Also, the oil filter relocation hoses were rubber and were too close to the downpipe for comfort. Relocated the battery to the trunk and the battery wasn't charging so I didn't know if I had the wiring wrong. Also, the o2 sensor was hitting on the steering rack boot and the tie rod was hitting on the downpipe. I ended up dropping the car off at the shop to have them fix the minor stuff. Found out the wastegate was also trash and the turbo apparently the seals are shot and the turbine wheel has hit the housing. Ended up needing a new Alternator as well (everything was wired correctly). So now I have a new alternator and the battery is charging fine and a turbonetics wastegate. Just put in an order to Precision for their 7275 CEA turbo good for 1015hp and it should be here either Friday or Monday. After that the car will officially be done and I can get it tuned. Gotta love unforseen problems.

Man I really love my car, errr loved it. I love modding it. I love the reward you get once things are on and working right. But sometimes all these little things just freakin ruin the fun of it all, it can be really frustrating. I always go out of my way to approach my mods as simply and clean as possible for this reason. It ended up taking me 4 days to install my blower because of two little parts I was missing from the used kit. It was literally 2.5 days of driving around/calling to find a part to fix the issue. Just like you I had everything ripped off in a heartbeat and thought it was going to be smooth sailing. Nope, never is. Hell finding the right parts locally to install my wideband was rather annoying. Its gonna be good to see this thing done though. New Edge for the win.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:54 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Nice to hear a update man, keep us posted

And get pics and video up asap.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

I hear you Hangwire. I am just glad I have a shop that can do all of this for me. Yes its way more expensive this way but at least I know its getting done right. Switching all of the lines to braided steel, changed the way my oil feed line goes into my turbo (now its off the remote oil filter as opposed to coming straight from the oil filter adapter), cut and re-welded my exhaust manifold so my o2 sensor is in a much better spot, cut and added piping to my downpipe so it no longer hits on my suspension, and figured out the issue with me getting oil in my exhaust. If it wasn't for them my car would probably still be sitting in my garage for another couple of months until i got the motivation to work on it again.

BTW... Are you trying to repair your car?

Quick Reply: What Will it Make?