4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Stupid question of the day?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
timritchieblue
1st Gear Member

Default Stupid question of the day?

Just bought 2000 gt with s trim. Where is the mass air meter? Old owner gave me a C & L meter said it was calibrated for 38lb injectors?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

MAF is right behind the air filter on passenger side. It's usually bolted to the filter at the farthest end of the pipe.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
timritchieblue
1st Gear Member

I have a vortech s trim, I followed the pipe into the fender, looked under? Didn't see filter? Do I remove the access panel from under the pass fender
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

The MAF is after your filter and before your throttle body. You can see it from the top, right behind your blower on your intake tube.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Take a pic
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96GT226410
The MAF is after your filter and before your throttle body. You can see it from the top, right behind your blower on your intake tube.
Unless he is running a draw thru setup then it is post filter pre blower

OP post a pic
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timritchieblue
I have a vortech s trim, I followed the pipe into the fender, looked under? Didn't see filter? Do I remove the access panel from under the pass fender
And yeah there is a dust shield under there, I have to bend mine back to get to my filter.

It keeps leaves and crap like that from getting around your filter
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
timritchieblue
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I haven't pulled the cover off yet, does the vortech s trim use the stock mass air?

Would the C&L meter work better? He said he was going to use the C&L and k&n filter with a power pipe, but can I use this with the factory vortech piping? Would love a power pipe, but not in budget right now
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM
flyboy1294
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by timritchieblue
Thanks, I haven't pulled the cover off yet, does the vortech s trim use the stock mass air?

Would the C&L meter work better? He said he was going to use the C&L and k&n filter with a power pipe, but can I use this with the factory vortech piping? Would love a power pipe, but not in budget right now
I seriously doubt your setup is utilizing the stock MAF. I'm not certain on the exact numbers, but the stock MAF can't keep up with the amount of air your supercharger will be pushing through your intake, so an upgraded unit is used when the super charger is installed.

Is your setup a blow through or a draw through? This changes the location of the MAF. Either way though, your MAF will be on your intake tube. Look for wires and a plug going into the tube. As some have said before me, post a picture and we will be glad to point out of the sensor for you.

As long as your current MAF sensor is giving correct readings you will not see an improvement with the C&L mass airflow sensor. All either one does is send data to your PCM. In short, if it is working right, leave it alone.

If a power pipe will work with your setup, many members on the forums have had a lot of luck building their own for just a few bucks. Here is a link for some information about it!
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ower-pipe.html

Last edited by flyboy1294; 01-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
timritchieblue
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the article on the HO made power pipe, total shipped, $97.00 .

Sorry but my car is in storage for winter, so I haven't checked anything. But i did google vortech 2000 mustang, and the images are the same as mine..

I have a pipe going from T.B. to 3" pipe into supercharger, no mass air?. Now what's on the other side of the fender I have no clue, I guess I'll find out when my HO made power pipe stuff gets herr.

? How do I make my car have that blow off noise? Do I have a blow off valve? My super charger is super quite, I was expecting 03 cobra noise, it ain't no whipple.

Quick Reply: Stupid question of the day?