4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Subs or Bama Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vertigo_GT
The Mach 460 has good bass as it is. 1800 Watts is overkill since that amp can't drive your other factory 4 ohm speakers.If you had asked this question in the a/v section you may have gotten a couple votes for the amp and sub, but here...not so much. Those of us without a tuner really really want one. Even old farts like me who aren't into racing.
I've been following your progress and you are doing a great job on your ' stang, looks awesome.
Oh - I vote TUNER!
I don't seem to be able to edit yet. Probably bc of low post count. I Meant to say "that amp can't drive your other factory 8 ohm speakers."
Also my statement about the Mach 460 having decent bass is subjective, I have Tinnitus anyway so I'm not the best judge of sound quality. If that AMP is 4 or 5 Channel AND you plan on replacing your factory speakers with 4 Ohm ones, the Amp Subs combo at 300 bucks sounds like a good idea. But for me personally, I'd get the tuner.

This post,like all others is based on my opinion and stuff I think I know. Any resemblance to reality is purely coincidental.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

This really depends on your personal preference. I would recommend going with the tuner, mainly because my main goal is to get the most performance out of my car as possible!

However, if you're into listening to loud music subs do help with that obviously. You will add a few hundred pounds to your vehicle with that set up as well, so you may notice a loss in performance.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
razor9546

tuner. when i got my stang i wanted to put the two 12 in subs sitting in my garage in it, but once i saw it had the mach audio system and how good it sounded as is with the stock radio, subs would just make it overwhelming.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I love music so I put a sub in mine and all that jazz. But a tuner is nice, especially if you're an automatic. if you're a manual it's really not that big of a deal right now unless you're getting gears
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Alright. Thanks Guys. I think i'm gonna go with the tuner. I jumped in my car today and Beastie boy "Paule Revere" came on and it thumped hard enough for my liking. Thanks you guys. And thanks Vertigo for checking out my progress. Also i may be going supercharged this summer so i think the tuner would be a better idea anyway.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Personally I wouldnt get anything bigger than a 10" with a stealth box, and a 400w 4ch amp. A lot lighter, and it doesn't take up your whole trunk and you get good quality sound.
I did this in mine because the Mach system was trash.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Tuner. In my opinion, kickers aren't that great anyways.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
White03Vert
3rd Gear Member

Music is nice and all, but the tuner is a must. I used to love the sounds of subs in the back of my car when I was younger, but it is one more thing you have to worry about sliding around in the trunk, not to mention it takes up more space. The Mach 460 system is more than enough in the sounds department IMO.

If you buy a BAMA tuner, you get free tunes for life. If you plan on keeping your GT for awhile then it will definitely be a fun experience getting to tune your car whenever you add on a performance mod.

I vote for the tuner!!

Last edited by White03Vert; 04-11-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

So the tuner isn't a one car only thing? Anyone wanna let be borrow theirs? Lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJ Glo
So the tuner isn't a one car only thing? Anyone wanna let be borrow theirs? Lol.
No it is only for one car. It is locked to the vehicle you first put it on.

Quick Reply: Subs or Bama Tuner?