4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How do you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 AM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Default How do you guys...

Clean your wheels? What kind of product do you use? I have gloss black FR500's deep dish, as well as gloss black bullits on 5.0, with the deep dish as well. I usually clean the chrome lip with chrome cleaning products and it always looks great and shiny.

Now the gloss black part on the other hand everytime I clean it with any product or soap and water, they look good while wet. As soon as they dry up they look like if they hadn't even been clean.. Sometimes they even look dirtier! What's a good product to clean these gloss black wheels with?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Do you dry your wheels? if you let the water dry on that black it'll look dirty
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Do you dry your wheels? if you let the water dry on that black it'll look dirty
I do ! I love in Florida though, on an average nice day when I'm cleaning the car it's so hot when you apply the cleaning product, and pass a towel over it, It like instantly drys. I have to literally soak em up.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lts_Mr_Yum_Yum
I do ! I love in Florida though, on an average nice day when I'm cleaning the car it's so hot when you apply the cleaning product, and pass a towel over it, It like instantly drys. I have to literally soak em up.
Maybe try something like Meguiars Ultimate compound color and clarity restorer.You could use it after the wheels dry and then wax them after polishing it out. I dont have painted wheels, but I used that process to clean the tough water spots and minor abrasions on my paint and it worked great.

I know what you mean about drying so fast in FL, plus in my area they use "Reclaimed" water in the sprinklers and outside faucets. It smells nasty and leaves milky water spots. There are warning signs stating it is not safe for drinking. I think it is straight sewer water filtered throgh used diapers from all the old folks homes.