4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Off topic, anyone ever do garage expansion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default Off topic, anyone ever do garage expansion?

The woman and myself are in the middle of a house purchase/ move. The garage is alot smaller than expected but its also 1 year old. Was wondering if anyone every expanded a garage and what they spent to do so. Its pretty much a 1 and a half detached, would like to lengthen it about 6 feet and widen about 8 feet.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Just watch hgtv. It'll teach you how to look good while you demo/build anything
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Well, I've added on to my house a few times, it wasn't too bad. Do you have a slab already where you are adding on? Are you going to do the work yourself?

One simple way to get a price is to go to your local hardware store and ask them to figure the materials for you. A hardware store that knows there stuff will be happy to do it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well I'm pretty sure I can do it along with my future father in law, but the biggest expense is probably going to be pouring the pad ( which we can't do), the only pad is what the existing garage is on, besides that re doing to roof I would imagine would be the only other moderate challenge.

Last edited by uberstang1; 10-14-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by crash
Just watch hgtv. It'll teach you how to look good while you demo/build anything
LMAO Just take a sledge hammer and start hitting ****, theyll fix all my problems during commercial.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Concrete is about $100 a yard here. You'll need about four or five inches assuming you're just driving cars and pickups on it.

Aside from that, it's really hard to guess materials. I mean, not knowing the layout, finish, etc. it will also depend on whether you want it to match up with what you have, or be more like a lean to. Might be simplest just to add another "bay" then you could make a doorway from one to the next.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Yea its a vague question I asked for sure, would definatly want the siding and all match its a brand new structure practically just a little small especially moving from the garage I have and all my crap in it. Would def like to have the pad done professionally
Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Shouldn't be too bad, especially if you can do the lions share of the work. That will save you some cash.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by uberstang1
LMAO Just take a sledge hammer and start hitting ****, theyll fix all my problems during commercial.
shiiiiiiiittttt, serioussllllllyyyyy. illllllll just throw my baaaaaaack intooooooo it
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Concrete isn't too bad just have to get the moisture right, I have a bull float and all the tools to do concrete.

I did a lot of concrete work at my last job. For a garage you will definitely want 5"

Would you do a pole barn type structure?

Quick Reply: Off topic, anyone ever do garage expansion?