4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How do I incr. my HP on my 2004 mustang gt convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Hernanito

Post How do I incr. my HP on my 2004 mustang gt convertible?

I just recently purchased a 2004 mustang GT 40th anniversary convertible V8, 2 valve. I was wondering how to increase my horsepower to 360-400 for under 2,500 Dollars or get close to it. I know nothing of cars so detailed explanations would be appreciated, thank you! My HP is currently stock and feels quite slow. Im trying to match up to my friends 2018 Camaro with 325 HP to beat it lol.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You'd like to run with a v6 camaro? That won't be too hard. 360-400hp isn't going to happen without a supercharger. Best bet is to find someone selling a used kit and piecing the fuel together. Should be right at your 2500$ budget but it will be tough. If all you want to do is beat a new v6 camaro you'll need full exhaust and long tube headers, full bolt ons and some gears. That alone will take you to your 2500$ budget quickly as well. Uphill battle
Old 10-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

N2O + tune. If you shop around a little for deals and can do all the work minus tuning yourself, you're looking at about $1500. For a good setup, you will need more than what is typically included in the usual N2O kits. Bottle warmer and window switch are two "extra" things I would definitely want, a remote opener would be nice too.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:11 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I would look into steeper gears (ring and pinion gears in the differential). These do not change power output but they will help improve acceleration and will definitely help improve seat of the pants feel.

If you're trying to annihilate that V6 camaro then yeah do the nitrous stuff. As of now, how close is the race between the two cars?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default How do I incr. my HP on my 2004 mustang gt convertible ?

Hernanito, that 2004 2v wasn't known to be a barn burner. But there is hope to dump that Camaro. All the posts are valid. I suggest you do what Ford did, and WhiteFoxGT suggested, to create a chevy killer, bolt on a supercharger.
I really like Z28KLR's N2o suggestion. I have been building nitrous motors since 1986. Nitrous is my primary choice for full competition, but I think Hernanito would fare better with a supercharger, only because he might not be proficient at using nitrous.
The gear change is a good idea, if left N/A, but might not be necessary if a supercharger, or nitrous is used.
This is a interesting project, please keep us posted.
The only limiting factor here is the $2,500.00 limit.
With nitrous you do get the most bang, no pun intended, for your buck.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:03 AM
Hernanito

Approximately how much horsepower would be added with these modifications? And what exact gears and such since these performance parts are new to me.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 AM
Hernanito

His car is quite faster since he has faster acceleration. Along with the gears in the differential, what other modifications can increase horsepower?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:05 AM
Hernanito

Would a supercharger put a lot of stress on my engine? It has 90k miles currently and I do not want to put to much stress on it. However, if it doesn't put to much stress, what superchargers would you guys recommend?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Blower on a 90K engine, send it. You are going to have a really hard time getting a centrifugal blower setup for your stated budget though. Not impossible, but it will take a bit of shopping around for used stuff and waiting on deals to come around. I know, there is the "$1500 budget supercharger" sticky thread on every one of these forums, but the reality is you're probably looking at close to $3K.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:13 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Blower on a 90K engine, send it. You are going to have a really hard time getting a centrifugal blower setup for your stated budget though. Not impossible, but it will take a bit of shopping around for used stuff and waiting on deals to come around. I know, there is the "$1500 budget supercharger" sticky thread on every one of these forums, but the reality is you're probably looking at close to $3K.
buddy of mine started out with that 1500$ budget, and very quickly turned south. Snowballed in to $10k+ teksid build but its the fastest 2v around

yanking a 500 wheel 03 swap