4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 04:09 PM
jjd54

Default Idle issues

Looking for some insight? 4.6 V standard tune. Replaced Mass Air, TPS and Idle Air Control.
removed and replaced negative cable and set standard tune.
Car starts and runs great.
After i drive somewhere and come back to restart the idle jumps up and down and sometimes stalls when i put in gear.
Anyone with some thoughts?
Old 12-10-2022, 01:03 AM
Trappula

Default Been There, Struggled Through That

Well only good news from going down that route was my buddy got a almost completely renewed engine, from new spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, map sensor, fuel pressure regulator valve, idle air valve, you name it, it was brand spankin new everything damn near till we found out it was a leak around the valve cover gasket’s that when given gas would then mess up the air/fuel ratio and ecu to throw a code and make the rpm’s go crazy and stall it out, running too lean, learned it’s usually the case given my 2000 GT is 2 decades old, it’s best you just do a complete gasket swap cause nothing looked too great when I pulled it out and you don’t wanna keep tearing it open so I got a pretty decent kit off Amazon for only $98 that gave me every gasket from the valve covers, down the head gaskets and everything in between. I’ll add the screenshot of it. Runs like a beauty now! I’m sure cleaning or replacing things like the fuel pressure regulator valve and other stuff definitely won’t hurt and we need to be replaced eventually but what was stopping it from being reliable and messing it all up was all that air and power finding it’s way out of the engine before it got even got a chance to make it in the cylinders. I was racking my head wondering why it was giving me too lean and saying possible leak between the map sensor and throttle body but it’s actually everything after the throttle body, and you might as well give it all a new, nice and refreshed seal throughout so I’m glad I found this kit for so cheap (for all seals you get, it’s a steal) might have to get a different kit tho if your stang isn’t a 99-01 with 8th digit of the Vin being an “x” but that’s probably your problem, and the seal seemed fine with just a look around but under stress and some gas it’s probably shooting the air it was calculating to make it into the cylinders right out the sides and everywhere but it, putting it into limp mode and stalling it out. Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon man!