Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Supercharger Would You Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default Which Supercharger Would You Pick?

For those that have them, would you change what you have?

Thx,

Mike
Old 04-09-2006, 06:15 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Supercharger Would You Pick?

The Saleen charger is going into my car starting tomorrow. Yeeeeeesssssssssssss[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Phrosty
1st Gear Member

I don't see procharger on the list?!?! [sm=gears.gif] lol
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

I love my Roush. Takes the car to a safe limit, easy power, no maintenance(yet), and full 3 yr 36k warranty
Old 04-09-2006, 08:23 PM
dlc

Why no procharger on the list?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:16 PM
burnout42
1st Gear Member

The whipple HO kit was produced by whipple AND Ford Racing. This kit puts 475+ to the wheels. If Ford racing is willing to put the 3v engine through that kind of power, I think that this 400-450RWHP "limit" in everybodies mind is horse pucky. I voted for the whipple because 475 at the wheels is KICK ***!!
Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Phrosty

I don't see procharger on the list?!?! [sm=gears.gif] lol
Sorry I'm a little confused, but are prochargers also called centrifugal superchargers? If i'm not mistaken there are three different types of superchargers...roots, twin-screw, and centrifugal. If that is right, is it true that the prochargers are the most efficient of the three different types of superchargers?

Sorry if I may have hijacked your thread, but I just thought the info could help both of us out.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
gregariousgreg
2nd Gear Member

The paxton, the vortech and the procharger are all centrifugal if I remember correctly. I think they're more efficient in terms of parasitic loss, but there's pluses and minuses to all three types.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gregariousgreg

The paxton, the vortech and the procharger are all centrifugal if I remember correctly. I think they're more efficient in terms of parasitic loss, but there's pluses and minuses to all three types.
That's what I have heard too.

I read somewhere, but I can't recall if it was centrifigual vs. twin-screw or supercharger's vs. turbos, but I read that one of the two would have more effect on lower RPM's, while the other would benefit from higher RPM's.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:13 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I'd pick a positive displacement of any kind over any centrifugal, just because I miss that bigblock offidle torque at part throttle...theres one not on the list- its what I'm hoping/waiting for...saw in a magazine Magnuson's supposed to be coming out with a non-intercooled roots style pkg for around 3500, and the intercooler can be added later- no intentions of running hard enough to need intercooling(yet) here, so 3500 bucks is sounding pretty inticing- and the magnacharger has a reverse belt drive that kinda looks cool when you pop the hood too I would love another 100 ft-lb without having to get up to 4k first...wether I could justify the 'need' to the wife for such a thing will remain to be seen, but I know it would be easier than the 5k+ for saleen/roush...(btw- magnacharger also supposed to have the low power bypass to maintain mpg like saleen/roush too). Keeping my fingers crossed they release it soon and it comes out at estimated price.

I was wanting a shaker really bad, but ordered a old cougar eliminator(kinda boss429-ish) last week, just 'to keep the door open' for blower room later on- looks like a centrifugal is the only option if you have a shaker...adding mostly high rpm power I'm afraid would get me in trouble...extra off idle torque is just plain more fun to drive in my opinion

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger Would You Pick?