Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Supercharger Would You Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Supercharger Would You Pick?

here's another question.

On the Saleen site, they're asking 5699 for the Saleen and the upgrade is another 1k.

Dynospeed racing is selling a Saleen for 4750 (and I presume that's also without the upgrade kit, so add another 1k).

Isn't that a bit odd?
Sounds like a good deal, just sounds like it's backwards of how you should find it.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lukoi66
On the Saleen site, they're asking 5699 for the Saleen and the upgrade is another 1k.
Dynospeed racing is selling a Saleen for 4750 (and I presume that's also without the upgrade kit, so add another 1k).
Can't speak from vast personal experience here, but over the years I have heard it over and over again...

If you get anything out of Saleen, it will come from someone else

That is, they don't seem to need or care to deal with inidividuals very well - so you are often better off in price and service finding someone who deals with them in bulk...

As for the SC + upgrade -that I can speak to - $6699 is ludicrous... look around...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: unclemilti

OK- why is it that if you buy a Saleen S/C and throw it on your GT, you make 400 hp, but if it comes on the ACTUAL Saleen stang, you get a claimed 435 hp?

Is it the tuning? Is there something else Saleen does to the motors? Exhaust?

I am going with the Saleen S/C, but also plan on throwing on a set of Long tube headers, and a Violator Exhaust. Will that get to 435 hp? Or possibly 450 with a correct tune?

Or should I just bump up the boost to 5 psi and add an exhaust?
The big difference is when people say 400hp on the boards they mean their car is making 400hp to the wheels, the 435 that Saleen advertises is at the crankshaft and is less than 400 at the wheels due to parasitic drag.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
mikewillsmith
2nd Gear Member

As for the SC + upgrade -that I can speak to - $6699 is ludicrous... look around...
Just got my Saleen supercharger, with shipping (without upgrade kit) for under 5K. with shipping from Haney Motor sports.
Goes on this weekend.

I went for Saleen as I wanted more grunt, but safe power and I'm not in an area where custom tunes and such can be done easily, so I needed a true bolt in. I'm not looking for wild, just more than stock. That is why I went with Saleen, and I think it looks better too.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

ORIGINAL: unclemilti

OK- why is it that if you buy a Saleen S/C and throw it on your GT, you make 400 hp, but if it comes on the ACTUAL Saleen stang, you get a claimed 435 hp?

Is it the tuning? Is there something else Saleen does to the motors? Exhaust?

I am going with the Saleen S/C, but also plan on throwing on a set of Long tube headers, and a Violator Exhaust. Will that get to 435 hp? Or possibly 450 with a correct tune?

Or should I just bump up the boost to 5 psi and add an exhaust?
The big difference is when people say 400hp on the boards they mean their car is making 400hp to the wheels, the 435 that Saleen advertises is at the crankshaft and is less than 400 at the wheels due to parasitic drag.
400 to the rear wheels? That is pretty impressive. So, I probably could just go with a cat-back exhaust and some minor bolt ons and be well into the low 400's at the rear wheels, huh?

See you are in Concord- I am up there quite a bit..have a friend who lives in the Hysterical District.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Well this has been an education. That's why I love these forums. Learned more in a month about mustangs than I thought doable without going to class for it haha. Maybe I've got too much free time??

I just got an email from Delk about the Hellion Turbo setup and I'm gonna look into that. The price is pretty good, the horsepower looks strong and the issue of "turbo lag" seems to be less and less of a problem as technology goes on. Worth a look.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:23 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus
Indeed, which is why the upgrade is obligatory and priced in

I started the process on mine today... got the PCM and my first gashed finger out of the way... (I am starting with their tune - don't worry - its just to get it running in case something goes wrong I can point the finger).

Note to ford - please do not follow the japanese practice of leaving room for hands no larger than my 5 yr old daughters.