Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

C&L fitmant and bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: C&L fitmant and bracket

06musgt----GLAD U GOT IT STRAIGHT!! Your da man...

classj--- I never pulled the fuses, called to ask about this. Merly a safty thing.
If bracket works for you than great!

Love to hear it when things work out for US!!

On my way to dealership for service repair .....TSB 06-9-9

Have a great weekend everyone!! Dont get any tickets.....
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

well,

i put the C&L intake on about 3 months ago. . . and i got mine mounted perfectly . . .

i used the same bolt from the valve cover. . .

here's how i did it::

the bracket didnt want to fit in a good position with the factory bolt in the valve cover. . . so i modified the bracket with a hacksaw. . .

the bracket has a little loop to fit a bolt THROUGH it. . . i cut a chunk out of the side of it that way it looks like a HOOK. . . i then just hooked it around the part of the factory bolt that separates. . . and then tightened it down. . . vuala!!! perfecto. . . no rub, no movement!!!

this simple modifying of the bracket fixed the problem and i used the factory bolt. . . i recommend this, it worked perfectly. . .

:-)
Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM
FlaSVT

the bracket has a little loop to fit a bolt THROUGH it. . . i cut a chunk out of the side of it that way it looks like a HOOK. . . i then just hooked it around the part of the factory bolt that separates. . . and then tightened it down. . . vuala!!! perfecto. . . no rub, no movement!!!

this simple modifying of the bracket fixed the problem and i used the factory bolt. . . i recommend this, it worked perfectly. . .
+1

I took a dramel and opened the end of the bracket and slide it between the bolt head and the washer.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Why don't they just make it so it fits in the first place. I don't want to be going at $300 piece with a hack saw or a dramel. I want the C&L but not the hassel of modifying my mods, I would probably F it up.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
silverbullet06

I installed mine last week and intake tube is resting on the coolant hose as well. Will installing the bracket help keep it off the hose, or should I just try to adjust it some more this weekend?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:38 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

If you cannot adjust the intake so that it does not contact the radiator hose, then just slide a piece of foam pipe insulation between them.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

OK, I re-adjusted it this morning as well as did the first oil change and intalled the G-trac brace while I was under there.

Heres what I ended up doing. First off, the intake was just touching the hose and the end of the air filter was touching the body pretty hard.

I also didnt like removing the insert for the valve cover bolt. So I ordered a new bolt from ford as a spare, then put the bolt upside-down in the vice and just tapped it with a brass hammer once and it came right out of the sleeve.

Then I ground the raised section off of the bolt on the bench grinder so it would be free to pass through the grommet.

I snapped the grommet into the valvecover under the bracket, then put the lockwasher and the original bolt. Now it tightens against the steel collar as it should rather than putting the stress on the valve cover tab that has no support under it otherwise.

This raised the intake about 3/16" which makes it now clear the hose and the air filter only rubs the body slightly at one point, and a piece of paint protection film will probably cure that or a bit more fiddling.

Took it for a ride afterwards before the rain started. I didnt get to play to much due to the whether turning bad but what a difference. It isnt a little but nice and noticible difference like most re-tunes on cars do.

It is a HOLY FRIGGIN **** difference. The sound is simply great, and it pulls sooooo much harder it is incredible. The thing now barks the tires hard between 2nd and 3rd. Not just a little.

Car is actually easier to drive smoothly. Less bucking in first gear. Throttle response is crisp and clean. Most of the hesitaion is gone.

With the AC on the car feels much better too. The idle is higher and it helps alot.

Thanks for the help guys!

Nick
Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Nick,
Sorry to hear you don't like it.... Told ya the tune would rock....

Mike

Old 07-29-2006, 12:36 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

It is always nice when an aftermarket part exceeds my expectations.

Some stuff usually either is just OK, or so bad that it gets returned, or used for a while then sold.

But today was one of those good days. C&L and tune worked with minimal fiddling, G-trac fit no problems, and even the UPR aluminum door lift buttons fit well.

Rare day indeed.