Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whipple Suppercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
lugnut
1st Gear Member

Default Whipple Suppercharger questions

Has anyone installed one of these yet? Was it an easy install? I am about to make the plunge and have been looking at the Saleen but have my reservations due to some bad reviews about their tune. Finding a good tuner in Washington has proven to be impossible. The whipple seems to have a good reputation for reliability from what I have read. But as far as thier box tune? I would like to hear from those who have installed one. I am also still trying to figure out if they have intercooled version at or below 8psi (which I would like to stay under) they advertise 10+ for the HO intercooled version anyone know?. I have sent some e-mails to them but have not heard back yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 PM
baltimucho

Default RE: Whipple Suppercharger questions

No one's installed one, because no one has one. I've been waiting 3 months and have already paid the FULL AMOUNT (wholesale) to my dealer.I was informed they should be shipping in 30-45 more days.

I beleive it will be worth the wait.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

I really cannot see any technical superiority between the 3 twin screw vendors. The Kenne Bell and Saleen units are all equal to the task, and they are at least available.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
baltimucho

Technically, there are no differences. Aesthetically however, the Whipple will give me 15RWHP more... About the same as when my car is clean instead of dirty.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule
I really cannot see any technical superiority between the 3 twin screw vendors. The Kenne Bell and Saleen units are all equal to the task, and they are at least available.
The differentiation is largely a function of:
a. Volume - the larger the volume of the charger, the more potential it has for horsepower at any given speed of the screws.
b. ease of install...
c. quality of intercooler...

In practical terms, I would have to agree - they are all pretty close. There is a "consensous" if you can call it that, that the KB is better on the high end of port (beyond 800-900HP), but my view of that is there aren't many playing around with those levels, so that "consensous" is poorly founded and more practically, you have to rip the car apart and replace most everything to deal with that power, so most aren't going to...

I even saw one claim that the internals of the Saleen were "whipple parts", but could not find any confirmation of that - would love to hear more on that topic...