Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

The cheapest way to put down around 325-350rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The cheapest way to put down around 325-350rwhp?

long tube headers WILL pick up some ponies for ya. but you have to throw it on the dyno and have someone tune for YOU. not canned crap. gotta be careful when changing flow characteristics on these cars man. check out www.seanhylandmotorsports.com and look at their stroker kit. ive talked them and they're claimin 35-40% increase in power, and you'll need approx. 4 hours on the dyno to get it dialed in. its replaces all the weaker parts (rods, pistons, etc.) while boosting your engine to a 5.0L. they make larger kits, taking you to 5.2L, but if you're not lookin for insane power, thats a way to start. price is $2295, if you can install it yourself itd save some money. if not, the price of installation/tune is gonna getcha. but then you're n/a and swattin down superchargers like flies.... if i could have swung it next month, id be able to tell ya how it runs. but ran into some unexpected bills. postponed...
Old 07-30-2006, 03:24 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I went with a C&L intake and brenspeed tune package. I am very happy so far. And I havent even loaded the hot 93 tune in yet. I am running a milder 93 tune so far.

The car IMO gained about 40-45 at the crank. For 675 bucks, it is a great package.

I too am leary about nitrous. Only because I dont really go to the track. When I do, I am not into putting parts on the car that I cant use on the street such as slicks. I want to see what it does in my daily commute trim.

I want power to be there on tap, ready to go, for highway fun, on the street. Having to turn on the nitrous system to do that sounds just wrong to me.

A blower seems like the best bet so far. But it is expensive, and some of them only put out 330 to the tires in un-modified form anyway. I am not paying 5-6K for 30 at the tires.

Which means more boost and a custom tune. I have no problem with that, but I havent decided to risk the motor yet.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

The Zex kit sold for the 05+ stangs is always on. It senses when the throttle is wide open and release the nitrous only at those times. I like the sound of that setup, but if it's going to shorten the life of the engine then it's not worth it. Does a blower shorten engine life? I would assume anything that adds that much horse power is going to shorten engine life.

ORIGINAL: classj

I want power to be there on tap, ready to go, for highway fun, on the street. Having to turn on the nitrous system to do that sounds just wrong to me.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust
Does a blower shorten engine life? I would assume anything that adds that much horse power is going to shorten engine life.
Short answer - in practice - yes, yes it does... BUT....

Engine life is determined largely by:
1. tolerances at time of assembly
2. overheating during operation (which can be a result of over-stress/boost or under co0ling)
3. high RPMs (intnernal forces grow logarithmically with RPM)
4. dirty lubricants

Blowers contribute significantly to #2 and #3...

So, yes, they can shorten the life of an engine...

If well cared for, configured and driven, a blown engine can and should last just as long, on average as a N/A engine as the boost itself shouldn't be the determining factor in the engines death if start of the long sentence is true...

IF (and that is a big "IF") it is well configured and cared for, a SC and NA engine will both ultimately die because the seals go bad...

Juice has a bad name because:
a. it is so cheaply and easily abused to produce too much pressure (which is how boost kills engines)
b. when it goes bad, it goes really bad... nice big flame ball from the top-end of your motor that turns your hood into a candy wrapper.

So, combine "easily abused" and "catastrophic failure" and you get "easy catastrophic failure"
Old 07-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

Check out RPMoutlet.com They are offering a kit that includes the Dibilosport Tuner and C&L CAI, and a few pullies to boot etc...
I have not researched the pullies yet, they can cause idle issues, battery issues and heating issues if designed poorly. Althougth I would not forsee this being a problem. The kit is only $699.95 and claims 33.4 hrspwr at the rear wheels which seems to be accurate.
Unless you're into pain don't buy from RPM outlet, trust me! The C&L/Tuner is a great kit with Pullies and Gears you'd have a fine machine on your hands, just buy it elsewhere. Brenspeed for instance would be a good choice.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

l am just making a research.. l really cant afford to buy a supercharger and l am just wondering what would be the other options.. any help would be appriciated!
...nitrous
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The brenspeed tune and CAI alone is impressing me more and more as I drive the car. It is running sooooo damn sweet.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

full bolt on's will put you there with the right tune. . .

full exhaust; i.e., headers, midpipe, and mufflers

Cold Air intake, perferably the C&L, personal preference

and a tuner, with a custom tune for 93 octane . . . im at about 300 with everything i listed but headers. . .

JBA shorties are good for 21 rwhp dyno tested in a mag. . . them with a tune, i should be at approx 321 or so. . .

and that is by far the cheapest way besides nitrous. . . :-) . . . IMO
Old 08-01-2006, 02:43 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

and a tuner, with a custom tune for 93 octane . . . im at about 300 with everything i listed but headers. . .

JBA shorties are good for 21 rwhp dyno tested in a mag. . . them with a tune, i should be at approx 321 or so. . .

Are you saying you think you will get 21rwhp from shorty headers, cuz i think you have as much chance getting that from a shorty antenna (sorry for being an ***) but on a seriouse note, I have not heard anything over 5rwhp from aftermarket shorty headers. Now it seems no more than 15 from LT's. Send me the dyno, if they posted it.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

Are you saying you think you will get 21rwhp from shorty headers, cuz i think you have as much chace getting that from a shorty antenna (sorry for being an ***) but on a seriouse note, I have not heard anything over 5rwhp from aftermarket shorty headers. Now it seems no more than 15 from LT's. Send me the dyno, if they posted it.

well Mr. *** . . . every JBA article in every 'Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' Magazine has the JBA shorties for 05-06 GT at the top of the page. . . note: must have CAI and ability to tune . . . but yes. . . 21 rwhp, get the mag, see for yourself

help finding? p 131 of September issue of MM&FF

the website, http://www.jbaheaders.com/05mustangnew.asp shows the dyno of the longtubes at 23 rwhp. . . the mags say 21 for the shorties. . .

pick up your local MM&FF and see for yourself bubs. . .

Quick Reply: The cheapest way to put down around 325-350rwhp?