Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Forged Internals.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Forged Internals.

ORIGINAL: IPSgreg

best rod out there for a mod motor has got to be the oliver I beam followed by the manley Billet I beam, then maybe the manley H beam, then eagles.

As far as pistons go CP is the no.1 piston choice.

Not for the S197's. In fact, I don't know of a single built motor using them.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Lot's of guys making responses that don't have built motors...lol I would take the input from people who have them and are running them on the S197's. Despite what people read in payed advertising articles in mags, here is the real deal..

#1 - SHM (sean hyland) builds junk and it's not about the customer service, it's about the junk they sell. Ask yourself why they have not appeared in any of the dozens of open invitation 3V shootouts?

#2 - the company's with the most positive feedback and the only ones to be dominating the FFW and NMRA events with both stock and built longblock S197's are: JDM, Livernois, KSS, Boss 330, Powerhouse, ST Motorsports, and a place in texas but I forgot the shop name off hand. These guys know their sheet about these cars. There are a couple others I'm forgetting but they are not mentioned in this thread.

#3 - getting a shortblock built with internals is not going to to do much for you. People do not build bottoms ends for power - they build bottoms ends to HANDLE power. Making power requires (at the very least) lot's of boost, complete fuel system, complete valve train work, tranny work, rear end work, lot's of cooling work, and lot's of suspension mods or your dyno queen will never go anywhere.

The truth: NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON IS MAKING OVER 600 RWHP RELIABLY ON AN S197 WITH LESS THAN $12,000 INVESTED. This is a fact and a fact you should be well aware of when thinking about doing a rebuild. Many guys think getting a built motor is all there is to it and they are dead wrong.
That is a bargain figure as well. Most guys making those numbrs have A LOT more than that invested.

Just keeping it real...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:20 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Lot's of guys making responses that don't have built motors...lol I would take the input from people who have them and are running them on the S197's. Despite what people read in payed advertising articles in mags, here is the real deal..

#1 - SHM (sean hyland) builds junk and it's not about the customer service, it's about the junk they sell. Ask yourself why they have not appeared in any of the dozens of open invitation 3V shootouts?

#2 - the company's with the most positive feedback and the only ones to be dominating the FFW and NMRA events with both stock and built longblock S197's are: JDM, Livernois, KSS, Boss 330, Powerhouse, ST Motorsports, and a place in texas but I forgot the shop name off hand. These guys know their sheet about these cars. There are a couple others I'm forgetting but they are not mentioned in this thread.

#3 - getting a shortblock built with internals is not going to to do much for you. People do not build bottoms ends for power - they build bottoms ends to HANDLE power. Making power requires (at the very least) lot's of boost, complete fuel system, complete valve train work, tranny work, rear end work, lot's of cooling work, and lot's of suspension mods or your dyno queen will never go anywhere.

The truth: NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON IS MAKING OVER 600 RWHP RELIABLY ON AN S197 WITH LESS THAN $12,000 INVESTED. This is a fact and a fact you should be well aware of when thinking about doing a rebuild. Many guys think getting a built motor is all there is to it and they are dead wrong.
That is a bargain figure as well. Most guys making those numbrs have A LOT more than that invested.

Just keeping it real...
Thats correct but alot of people arnt lookin to make 600whp they are just lookin to secure the weekest link in the engine first(like myself), these motors can pop with the factory internals at as little as 400whpish its kinda of an insurance policy for people lookin to insure a long lasting small(note i said small, not a monster pro stock bullet ect ect ect FI kit) FI(turbo, Twinscrew,Centri) or nitrous car....There-for allowing for a much higher power handling compacity later down the road(400whp&lt...I know first hand with what i plan on doin myself its going to be $12k, that just for the shortblock(5k)+Turbo kit(6k)=11k and I havent even done anything with the heads in that figure. It gets expensive fast...

Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well I am interested in this topic, I myself am leaning toward DSS because of there building history and because of there excellent customer service.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
fin1
1st Gear Member

I've had mine re-built by Fox Lake and re-assembled by PowerHouse. Fox Lake used mostly Manley products on my 4.6. They are not the cheapest but their quality is dead on.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:19 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fin1

I've had mine re-built by Fox Lake and re-assembled by PowerHouse. Fox Lake used mostly Manley products on my 4.6. They are not the cheapest but their quality is dead on.
Correct - 90% of the rebuilds by the pro shops use manley products.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:23 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SweetGT

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Just keeping it real...
Thats correct but alot of people arnt lookin to make 600whp they are just lookin to secure the weekest link in the engine first(like myself), these motors can pop with the factory internals at as little as 400whpish its kinda of an insurance policy for people lookin to insure a long lasting small(note i said small, not a monster pro stock bullet ect ect ect FI kit) FI(turbo, Twinscrew,Centri) or nitrous car....There-for allowing for a much higher power handling compacity later down the road(400whp&lt...I know first hand with what i plan on doin myself its going to be $12k, that just for the shortblock(5k)+Turbo kit(6k)=11k and I havent even done anything with the heads in that figure. It gets expensive fast...

True. One thing to note though is that with a GOOD TUNE your stock bottom end is in no danger of seeing daylight with under 500 rwhp. Every single car that has blown under 500 rwhp was a tuning issue. Use a good tuner and if you plan on staying around 500 rwhp, you do not need to rebuild your motor at all. Spend the extra bucks to get a tuner who knows what they are doing and you can make 500 rwhp reliably on the stock bottom end all day long.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:52 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

As the tunes are getting better the stock internals do appear to be stronger than first thought. That's the price you pay being on the cutting edge and why I'm being patient. 6 months ago 450hp was thought the limit. Now 500 is working for those who can really tune. I hope to see more. N/A numbers going up with the new cams and head work too. Pretty cool stuff.