Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Who's Tune Should I Go With??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:44 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Who's Tune Should I Go With??

I had mine custom tuned at Brenspeed starting from Brent's canned tune for the WMS intake. It made a huge difference in my car, and like many others have said, Brent and Dave are the nicest guys around. Luckily I only live about an hour from the shop, so I'll be using them for all my future mods.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Evolution Performance.

Fred has a great bang for buck deal.
+1... I know you didn't want more options, but Fred at Evo has seriously awakened my ride. Couldn't be happier (unless he had accidentally shipped me a S/C too!)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Your sig says custom dyno tuned by bamachips. Did you actually have them dyno and tune the car? why no nitrous for the mustang yet?

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow

Bama chips. purely for the throttle response. At the end of the day all these tunes are going to essentially get you the same amount of horsepower; however, doug's tunes are light years ahead when it comes to throttle mappings. He has managed to get my Mustang to feel like my S2k when it comes to throttle response.

Yeah, I went up to Walker dyno in Trussville AL and Doug met me there. Threw the stang on the dyno and ran it 3 times with 3 different tunes. I went 306/321 first run, 303/327 the second and 3rd runs. heat index was about 100 degrees too. I told him to throw the first tune back in as I liked its torque curve better.

Just not sure Nitrous is the direction I want to go... Kind of a been there done that type of thing. I really want to supercharge it, but can't come to terms with spending 5+ thousand dollars right now.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Your sig says custom dyno tuned by bamachips. Did you actually have them dyno and tune the car? why no nitrous for the mustang yet?

Bama chips. purely for the throttle response. At the end of the day all these tunes are going to essentially get you the same amount of horsepower; however, doug's tunes are light years ahead when it comes to throttle mappings. He has managed to get my Mustang to feel like my S2k when it comes to throttle response.

Yeah, I went up to Walker dyno in Trussville AL and Doug met me there. Threw the stang on the dyno and ran it 3 times with 3 different tunes. I went 306/321 first run, 303/327 the second and 3rd runs. heat index was about 100 degrees too. I told him to throw the first tune back in as I liked its torque curve better.

Just not sure Nitrous is the direction I want to go... Kind of a been there done that type of thing. I really want to supercharge it, but can't come to terms with spending 5+ thousand dollars right now.
As Wilma Flinstone said to Betty Rubble "CHAAAARRRRGGGGEEEEE IIIIITTTTT!!"
Old 08-11-2006, 01:02 AM
cbiscut

This is my take and you have to understand that I don't know much about mods/tunes/what does what. Pretty green in this respect and wary of bull****, but I am learning more everyday from all of you. So, I called Fred at Evo, and called Brent at Brenspeed within 10 minutes of each other and asked them both the same questions about installing a new intake and tuner(what else), what should I expect, explained that I am a mod novice and I guess I was looking for someone to HELP me with all of this. Pricewise Fred was $50 less for same tuner/intake than Brent's. I went with Brent. Why? When I called Fred he seemed like he couldn't get off the phone fast enough (T minus 2 minutes). Didn't help me at all. I didn't learn nada about ****. So then I called Brent and he spent 8 minutes on phone with me and explained the differences in my CAI(airaid) that I had already bought and C&L CAI that he prefers. He explained what his tune would do for me and how easy it is to do. I know time is money. My time is very valuable also, but if you want my money, make the time to earn it. I didn't care that Brent was $50 more than other. The difference in customer service was huge. Also, my tune is AWESOME. Brent tuned it for my CAI. I can't believe the difference in my car. Trying to figure out what's next. GREAT SERVICE, GREAT TUNE!!!

victor
P.S. don't know anything about Bama.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 AM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Well cbiscut, I see now that there are truly two sides to every coin. I say this, because I truly had the exact OPPOSITE experience with Brent and Fred. To be honest I am a TRULY **** consumer, but I spent weeks trying to determine which of these two to go with. I tried calling Brent multiple times and not that he didn't get back to me, but it was later than I would have expected each time, and when he (or someone from Brendspeed) did, it was s relatively rushed and kinda cold. Brent just wasn't much for knowledge, which was what I needed most.

And on the flip side, I actually had a MUCH better experience with Fred in that when I called him on a Friday, instead of rushing me along like most people would do late on a Friday afternoon, he actually spent over 1.5 hours (seriously) on the phone with me helping me better understand the possibilities of mods for my car, what his tunes and CAI packages do versus everyone elses, what mods are "worth it" and which ones aren't. He truly spent a genuine amount of his time (his own personal time), helping me better understand what direction I should go. And mind you, he didn't tell me what I should do, he gave me the information to make the decisions myself, which is extremely refreshing for someone like me.

Ultimately, I understand that different people have different experiences. Be it due to the current environment at the time you call, to the context of your call, to the prospect of what you plan on doing, and yes, to the overall all customer service of each company. But I believe that the bottom line is that both Fred at Evolution and Brent at Brenspeed have excellent products and tunes and they are both at the top of their business. As uncharted as this sector of business is, I think there is probably room for 2 at the top. If not more, (I hear great things about Bamachips too). Just go with the one that work best for you... whats more important to you, price? Customer service? You have to weigh it all out yourself, but I get the feeling that the odds are you won't be dissappointed with either Fred at Evo, Brent at Brenspeed, or Doug at Bama.

For the record Fred's tune awakened my GT to a level i hadn't even imagined. I've got a whole knew machine. She's a beast now.

Here ends the scripture (sorry)....
Old 08-11-2006, 04:12 AM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well just too voice my 2cents I bought my C&L alond with sct xcal2 from dallas mustangs with there custom tune. It has been really good to me really woke up the sleeping beauty.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

cbiscut--- Thats exactly what I'm talking about! Customer service is EVERYTHING. Any company cant get so busy that you forget the basics. People do notice the little things. This is one of the reasons I drive past two dealerships (one 15 minutes from my house) to go to a dealer 45 minutes away. Customer service!!

I understand that everyone may not have the same results as us with Brenseed or anyone, but when you check thread after thread, tune after tune you will see one theme that out ways everything. Brenspeed rules in this department. Good job on the tune, watch that right foot though! lol
Old 08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Very well spoken. +1
ORIGINAL: cbiscut

This is my take and you have to understand that I don't know much about mods/tunes/what does what. Pretty green in this respect and wary of bull****, but I am learning more everyday from all of you. So, I called Fred at Evo, and called Brent at Brenspeed within 10 minutes of each other and asked them both the same questions about installing a new intake and tuner(what else), what should I expect, explained that I am a mod novice and I guess I was looking for someone to HELP me with all of this. Pricewise Fred was $50 less for same tuner/intake than Brent's. I went with Brent. Why? When I called Fred he seemed like he couldn't get off the phone fast enough (T minus 2 minutes). Didn't help me at all. I didn't learn nada about ****. So then I called Brent and he spent 8 minutes on phone with me and explained the differences in my CAI(airaid) that I had already bought and C&L CAI that he prefers. He explained what his tune would do for me and how easy it is to do. I know time is money. My time is very valuable also, but if you want my money, make the time to earn it. I didn't care that Brent was $50 more than other. The difference in customer service was huge. Also, my tune is AWESOME. Brent tuned it for my CAI. I can't believe the difference in my car. Trying to figure out what's next. GREAT SERVICE, GREAT TUNE!!!

victor
P.S. don't know anything about Bama.