Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

need input from tire swappers....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default need input from tire swappers....

yes im asking for opinions and what you guys have noticed.... might be dumb but here goes.
anyone switched to a 275/40R17? how does it hold up compared to stock size? fill the wheel wells enough? width too much for it? what have you found?

anyone switched to a 255/55R17? seems to add an inch to the tire height, does that bump at all into the well? cuts the gear ratio a bit, howd that work out? worth it?

yes, send opinions, pics, whatever. would you do it again, or would you opt for a different size? and how hard is it to find OPTIONS for tires in your respective sizes? ive found a few for each different size, now im wondering how they even worked? did it look ridiculous? thats always important. did your performance suffer? just as important. anything is helpful. also, when they "recommend" a rim size for that tire size, how stringent are they? ive run 10.5" M.T Claws on my 17x8 truck rims. worked fine. didnt know if it was the same deal with a performance oriented vehicle. any tire lock problems or just plain fallin off? thanks for inputs....
Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need input from tire swappers....

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

yes im asking for opinions and what you guys have noticed.... might be dumb but here goes.
anyone switched to a 275/40R17? how does it hold up compared to stock size? fill the wheel wells enough? width too much for it? what have you found?

anyone switched to a 255/55R17? seems to add an inch to the tire height, does that bump at all into the well? cuts the gear ratio a bit, howd that work out? worth it?

yes, send opinions, pics, whatever. would you do it again, or would you opt for a different size? and how hard is it to find OPTIONS for tires in your respective sizes? ive found a few for each different size, now im wondering how they even worked? did it look ridiculous? thats always important. did your performance suffer? just as important. anything is helpful. also, when they "recommend" a rim size for that tire size, how stringent are they? ive run 10.5" M.T Claws on my 17x8 truck rims. worked fine. didnt know if it was the same deal with a performance oriented vehicle. any tire lock problems or just plain fallin off? thanks for inputs....

you might find these links helpful. one is a wheel/tire change calculator that tells you total tire diameter. the other shows you the effective gearing change with a change in tire diameter. let me know if this is helpful.

http://www.speedshoppro.com/Download...alculator.html

http://www.speedshoppro.com/GearCalc...alculator.html

the main site is in my sig
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

wow, yeah. ive been there. thanks for the linkz, but what a computer CANT tell me is how the wheel fills the car out. or if the width is going to create rubbing on minor bumps or major potholes. or if the inner wheel will rub under EXTREME conditions. i need to know about clearances, in a nutshell. but really its more than that. others have spent their hard earned cash to find what works best, and i want a baseline to start at in finding mine. so opinions and findings, please.

but again, thanks for re-re-re-re-re-posting those linkz. : )
Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

but again, thanks for re-re-re-re-re-posting those linkz. : )

yeah, you bet. you know, same ole questions, same ole reposts of answers.

try doing a search before posting a new thread, kay?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

hmmm. maybe a search gave me what tires people are running and none of them matched the tires im trying TO run. i can find plenty of information on 18" rims. but noones saying anything about a 275/40. or a 255/55. is it a dumb idea to run those tires or something? i just realized this is also in drivetrain, so maybe thats why the phone isnt ringin offa the hook. least you replayed, 50 cool pts to paco.