Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Solid Motor Mounts and Torque Limiters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Solid Motor Mounts and Torque Limiters

Will do. At the first sign of squeakage, I'll be breaking out the drill and zerk fittings.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I have them and they don't sqeak yet. I've put about 800 miles on them I think, maybe less. mine don't have a place to attach the parking brake cable though. I just used a black zip tie.
It sounds like CHE might be onto something! Let us know how they work with more miles on them!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Also I live on a bumpy dirt road so if they are going to squeak on anyones car, it's going to be mine!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Moose!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

I just installed the CHE brace and torque limiters.

1st of all, it really seams to firm things up as advertised.

Does it increase vibration? Yes.

You can hear and feel more engine vibration through the floor than before when you are accelerating. It just so happens that we just got some days in the 40's and it is more noticeable when cold. I guess the bushings are stiffer when cold.

Is it objectionable? Not to me. I actually like the sound. It sounds just like an engine accelerating (duh!), but it IS more noise.

At idle and cruise there is not much difference, when you accelerate the engine pushes the bushings against the floor (through the brace) and give increased vibration.

Just like replacing any soft bushings with stiffer ones, there will be some increase in noise. The poly bushings are a good compromise and I personally feel the small increase in noise is well worth the extra control.

I prefer my Mustang sound and feel like a performance car and while it is comfortable quiet enough for everyday use with the radio and people in the car, it's not a Cadillac.

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Do any of you guys have solid motor mounts and/or torque limiters (CHE...connect to K member brace)? I was wondering if you did have either of these mods, if you felt any increased vibration from the engine. I am eventually going to install LT headers (JBAs) and they recommend that you convert the stock motor mounts to solid mounts to prevent the motor from torquing around and causing clearance problems for the headers (as well as causing leaks by that). CHE states that their torque limiters won't get in the way of most LTHdrs with the exception of SLPs so I thought that if the solid motor mounts caused too much vibration that I may leave in the liquid ones and use the torques limiters instead. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

my che engine torque limiter just showed up today from powerhouse, so I'll be installing tommorrow with my pro 5.0 shifter. I'll report back.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:07 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

+1 on what you said justastockmustang...sounds good to me. I just wanted to talk to guys who had it done to see what they had to say. Do you have long tube headers or did you just do these two mods to help keep your shifter from moving around under hard acceleration? The reason I'm asking is that one of the mods I'm going to do is LTHdrs and they suggest changing the mounts out and I was going to go ahead and put the torque limiter bars on to help too. I don't want any header leaks...I've been there before and it sucks. My very next mod (this month) will be the CHE K member bar and CHE rear LCAs (I'll add the torque limiters later to the K brace since I want to make sure the headers will fit first). Thanks for the info.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/055AC72A539C4D34B8F55028C82D4D8B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister086

my che engine torque limiter just showed up today from powerhouse, so I'll be installing tommorrow with my pro 5.0 shifter. I'll report back.
Can't wait Twister086...let me know.
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

I don't have LT's. I got the limiters to help out with the shifter and also to keep things from hitting the hood. With the SC everything moves around more.

Limiting drivetrain movement does sound like a good way help with the LT's.

Several people have used LT's with the CHE brace and limiters but I believe some of them had to move one of the limiters over a little. If you have access to a welder it wouldn't be a big deal.

EDIT: There is more than one mounting hole for the limiters.

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

+1 on what you said justastockmustang...sounds good to me. I just wanted to talk to guys who had it done to see what they had to say. Do you have long tube headers or did you just do these two mods to help keep your shifter from moving around under hard acceleration? The reason I'm asking is that one of the mods I'm going to do is LTHdrs and they suggest changing the mounts out and I was going to go ahead and put the torque limiter bars on to help too. I don't want any header leaks...I've been there before and it sucks. My very next mod (this month) will be the CHE K member bar and CHE rear LCAs (I'll add the torque limiters later to the K brace since I want to make sure the headers will fit first). Thanks for the info.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/055AC72A539C4D34B8F55028C82D4D8B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-19-2006, 04:08 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I have the torque limiters and Dynatech L/T's. They fit great and they def. work as advertised. I am very pleased with them. I installed a set on a friends 06 that has SLP long tubes. I did have to modify the drivers side to make it clear. Just a quick mig weld and bracket relocation. No big deal.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

I JUST purchased these two items...(i would use the two in conjunction with each other...read on)

the Prothane Bullet Mounts and the CHE Kmember brace w/ torque limiters...
I'll be installing both fo them this weekend...

Good to note:
I found the Prothane mounts sold at about 10 place..so i did do some good research...
Summitracing.com had them with the red bushings for $165 and with the black bushings for $103!!

So curious as to why the price was different I called summitracing and Prothane tech departments directly...
Prothane said the black ones have slightly more graphite in the material, which means nothing for performance only ads a little bit of sparkle to the black color, the busing tolerance and flex is identical, prothane said both retail for the same price (about $165) he wasnt sure why summit would be charging diff. prices...

so when i called summit, the tech guy essentially said the same thing, that he has no idea why they're different prices because his spec. sheets listed them as identical products...

so before they changed the price to what it should be I got my Prothanes for $103...what a steal if you ask me!...

Now the main reason for the mounts is because my FRPP shorty headers hit the steering shaft on hard left turns and when hitting the gas in reverse...so the mounts by themselves should fix the engine issue...

and I got the k-member brace and torque limiters to help stiffen everything up again (as well as the engine)...however I wouldnt use the torque limiters without additional support...because the torque limiters attached thru the back of the tranny bellhousing...which means all of that movement the hydro-mounts allow, is being sent directly into the tranny housing and I'm not sure it's really signed to do that much "torque-limiting" That is why i did the mounts and k-member brace w/ limiter together....

after the install this weekend I'll repost to see who everything fits and if the functionality changes and vibration is affected.
ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

The bullet mounts are very nice quality, and like you said they are much cheaper than the Steedas. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

As for the LCAs, I would be wary of the CHEs. Yes, they do have the bracket for mounting the parking brake cable. But, on the other hand, they don't have grease fittings for lubricating the bushings. The BMR and Spohn ones do. No grease fittings is a big negative IMHO. The parking brake cable is easily secured with a zip tie.

Quick Reply: Solid Motor Mounts and Torque Limiters